Heater fan stopped working

Juz

Hi All,

The heater fan on my My '96 90 has stopped working.

In order to help me diagnose the problem, does it run through a relay (and if it does, where is it)?

I know it's a numpty question, but I don't have my Haynes book of lies with me.

Thanks

Juz

perfect timing hey :) - i cant help but ...

i bought a marine fan from ebay for about £15 wired it in to the exsiting plug and literally just jammed it down the heater in duct after taking the lid off on the wing.... works a lot better than standard - and was a 15min bodge.

of course you could install it much better

There is a 3 pin plug on a cable connected to the unit. If you apply 12v to the connections you should get the two speeds.

Additionally there is the 3 connections behind the speedo that match the ones on the unit. So no there is no relay just a wiper switch that also operates a bowden cable to open and close the main air vent from the wing.

Just had all my wiring apart over the weekend trying to put a newer loom in and had to trace all these wiggley bits down.

According to my notes it should be fed by fuse 4 as you have the later type blade fuses at that age of vehicle

Sometimes the fan can get clogged up or just plain stuck, remove the inlet duct and spin it with your fingers and if you find any debris while you are at it remove it.

On my 90CSW I once had a heater-blower-problem. Investigation showed that the local mice had packed the intake-pipe and inside of the fan with nuts and berries.

--Tanuki.

"BADGER!!!"

I can still recommend the bilge pump fan, done the mod to a couple of trucks now and it makes a hell of a difference. I think my standard motor has just about packed up now on my truck, the bilge fan still provides more than enough air!

Just fitted and eberspacer for the cold mornings too :i-m_so_happy:

there is a resistor in the heater case, just under the plate where the wiring goes into the motor, maybe that's causing the non working problem.

Can I test this 'in situ' or do I need to drill out the rivets and remove the resostor?

Juz

I had the same problem last winter. Tried all the usual things but eventually found the multi-connector to the fan (near the back of the passenger side wing, under the bonnet) had had water in it and the whole lot had burnt out. It just fell to bits when I wiggled it. Just cut all the wires out and used bullet connectors to join it all up again. The power feed looked a bit black but it has held up OK. 5 minutes to fix but 3 hours to find!