Stolen RR Classics

Willie MacLeod

I have had two Range Rovers stolen from storage in Ross-Shire (Highlands) and I'm wondering if any of your members have seen them anywhere or been offered parts from them:

One is reg RSC 200Y and is a dark blue Range Rover classic. 1982 reg but was rebodied with a later 4 door body. Chassis is galvanised, however was coated with a red epoxy paint so this may not be obvious. 4.6L V8, 3 speed torqueflite gearbox, B&M shifter, leather interior with electric seats, alloy tailgate, stainless exhaust, stainless steel petrol tank (though well coated with paint, has unique filler cap). Chassis SALLHAMV3AA125186, engine number 001 (John Eales build - late style rover v8 heads on it). Was on discovery steel wheels when taken. Picture attached.

2nd is later 3.9L V8 reg H641 WRS with 5 speed manual box, light blue, quite rotten, had lpg kit on it but was stripped of a lot of the interior. Chassis SALLHAMM7GA441613, engine number 35D02380A.

Reward offered for information leading to recovery of vehicles. My number is 07941320318. Thank you.

post-18990-0-05270200-1321994849_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently seen a couple of classic range rovers which have had pretty much concourse restorations (and were beautiful) but sold for big money (in the 20k neck of the woods). Though expensive, I though they were better value and looked better than a RRS for example.

If people have cottoned on to this, the thieves may be looking for straight RRC's as there will be an increasing market for good condition parts. A modified vehicle or 'off roader' may in fact be less of a target.

Si

Trackers seem like a perfect solution - but the GPS / GSM ones are too easily jammed with a Jammer costing £30. You can even make your own out of nothing more than a headlight relay.

I'm told that GSM versions are the most reliable as the thieves will eventually want to use their own mobile and even if the Jammer is only switched off for a few seconds it's enough to get a fix.

I read a story about (I think) an American who wired up a can of water soluble paint (it may even have been Flour) to an alarm which just left a splurge of White paint on the road every few tens of feet. Follow the dots!

Not ideal if everybody used it - though I suppose you'd immediately see where the cars are being broken by the White roads leading in!

It's illegal (not to mention stupid) in the UK (and probably the US) to mark the road surface - so please don't do it. It was an interesting solution though to get around the jammers.

One of the best (probable legal) solutions I have seen was a smoke canister wired to the alarm.

He had two alarms a fairly normal motion detector that set of an alarm.

Then inside a second alarm that only activated if the first one already had been and the vehicle started moving this set off a non toxic smoke canister, the canister was the sort used for testing chimneys so totally non toxic and non staining etc, it was designed to be let off in peoples houses. I watched it when he tested it, the entire car was totally full of smoke so there was absolutely no way it could have been driven or even for someone to continue hotwiring it from inside, smoke also came out of every vent or opening on the car. Any one towing away the vehicle or even putting it in the back of a truck would have ended up going down the road leaving a thick trail of smoke. A car alarm might get ignored a car billowing smoke is liable to get people to ring the fire brigade if not the police.

I prefer the idea of wiring the car to the mains but unfortunately that isn't legal.....

One of the best (probable legal) solutions I have seen was a smoke canister wired to the alarm.

He had two alarms a fairly normal motion detector that set of an alarm.

Then inside a second alarm that only activated if the first one already had been and the vehicle started moving this set off a non toxic smoke canister, the canister was the sort used for testing chimneys so totally non toxic and non staining etc, it was designed to be let off in peoples houses. I watched it when he tested it, the entire car was totally full of smoke so there was absolutely no way it could have been driven or even for someone to continue hotwiring it from inside, smoke also came out of every vent or opening on the car. Any one towing away the vehicle or even putting it in the back of a truck would have ended up going down the road leaving a thick trail of smoke. A car alarm might get ignored a car billowing smoke is liable to get people to ring the fire brigade if not the police.

I prefer the idea of wiring the car to the mains but unfortunately that isn't legal.....

That sounds like a great idea...........................I mean wiring the car to the mains...................crispy scumbag..................my dog would love that for lunch. :hysterical:

That sounds like a great idea...........................I mean wiring the car to the mains...................crispy scumbag..................my dog would love that for lunch. :hysterical:

It was done by someone in Plymouth I think a few years ago, the thief ended up in hospital.

The person who did it got away with a caution from the courts and a strong warning not to do it again. He only got the caution as the car was in his garage at the time so for it to be dangerous someone had to first break into the garage, he was told if the garage had been unlocked or the car on the driveway he would have been done for a lot more and probable gone inside for longer than the car thief as there was a definate intent to fry someone.

What do you mean fry someone? Surely he did that to protect against mice crawling on the car. The thief touching it was merely bad judgement on the thief's part. :ph34r:

In which case (as Retroanaconda pointed out to me) he should have had a warning sign and all would have been fine :)

It was done a good few years ago in London, too - and on the street that time. The car was a hot hot hatch of some kind (Sierra Cosworth, something like that, I think) and IIRC had already been nicked and recovered a couple of times. The owner had a basement flat, so he parked next to a ventilation grid and ran a cable to the mains.

Along came a traffic warden who'd taken it into his head to try the doors on all the cars to check they were locked, who got a bit of a surprise...

The owner was done, though I can't remember what for or what his sentence was.