Genuine LR roof rack any good?

Been looking for a roof rack for a while, and had settled on getting a Brownchurch Heavy duty one, but one of these:

post-20087-0-99956000-1322403426_thumb.jpg

has come up for sale for 300 odd squid (relativly new condition), and I was wondering about how good they are.

I want a rack I can bung general stuff on and possible hold my spare if I want to put it up there for any reason.

Anyone use one of these at all? rate them?, is it worth me considering it, a new brownchurch is going to cost me about 600, so it would be a fair saving.

Cheers

Mav

i would personaly say the LR roof rack looks prettty, but use less. its hard to stand on with out boarding it out, i was asked to fit help someone fit one out for overland.it quite heavy, and then mouning anythink was a nightmare. brownchurch rack much more suited for anythink you want. also with a brown church is gav, so no rust problem.

Cam

i would personaly say the LR roof rack looks prettty, but use less. its hard to stand on with out boarding it out, i was asked to fit help someone fit one out for overland.it quite heavy, and then mouning anythink was a nightmare. brownchurch rack much more suited for anythink you want. also with a brown church is gav, so no rust problem.

Cam

Hmm. boarding out isn't a problem as would do the same with a brownchurch. it does look a little curvyer than a brownchurch, - galvanised true. but i don't see that as a huge problem too. I am trying to pursuade myself into it, but if it is actually pants then thats usually enough to kill the idea for me.

I have a Front runner rack on my 110 and would recommend you look at that type of rack, there a a few on the market Front Runner/Hannibal/Patriot they are made of Aluminium so very light they also have load rail systems for attaching eyebolts and kit without drilling the rack. I got rid of the Land Rover rack as I found it was starting to go rusty, it was not power coated but that stupid plastic paint that rusts underneath and then is a bitch to restore. The other problem I found was as it had rails all the way around fitting the roof tent and other kit was a P.I.T.A.

Jason.

What he said ^^

Buy a Land Rover roof rack if you want something that looks pretty and don't intend to carry anything on it

Buy a Brownchurch roof rack if you want to carry stuff on the roof

The problem with steel racks is the weight. No matter what rack you buy you still have a max roof weight of 75kg....

IIRC Land Rover Genuine racks were made by Safety Devices.

Go for a good alli rack like a Frontrunner one. If you do board it stay with 6mm ply at the thickest otherwise you are into the weight problem again.

ok dokey, well thats persuaded me that the Genuine rack is certainly not the way i want to be going... certainly not for 300+ squid anyway, fortunatly I am a stickler for practicality and that wins 10 fold over prettyness. The Alu ones ain't cheap though are they.

The wagons we have in the Mountain rescue team have got Brownchurch HD roof racks and rather then being boarded out they have a fancy stainless steel chicken wire type stuff that is attched to the rack base, works rather well in my opinion, stops you from falling fown the big holes when you're up loading/unlading stretchers etc. probably costs a fortune mind.

True - but when you decide to completely ignore that, the Brownchurch racks are a much better bet ;)

The problem now is that the enforcement officers in various countries are now carrying out spot checks on vehicle weights. I can't get my 110SW to a nice legal limit. What chance do you have with a heavy steel rack ?

The problem now is that the enforcement officers in various countries are now carrying out spot checks on vehicle weights. I can't get my 110SW to a nice legal limit. What chance do you have with a heavy steel rack ?

Do you mean your vehicle is loaded over its 3050kg? payload of over 1131kg? (ref: http://www.anchorvans.co.uk/landrover-specifications.php) - hmm interesting another element I've not quite considered fully.