Steering odd after lift.

bambi851

Hello.

Not sure if anyone can help, or if I'm just being stupid.

I'm not auto expert and have just fitted an OME 2" lift to my Disco 1 in my back garden. I have also fitted MOD 16" wheels and 265/75/16 BFG AT's.

All seems ok, except, when I drive it in a straight line, the steering wheel is now sitting at about 20 degrees left. If I take my hands off the wheel, the car drives in a straight line, but the wheel is at an angle (so it feels a bit strange).

Any ideas what could have caused this? The only idea I have in my head at the moment is possible dropping something too low and the steering coming out of a spline and back in at a different angle.

Or maybe i just take the steering wheel off and put it back on again straight.

Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Cheers

David

With a lift, you increase the distance between chassis and axle, this also affects the angle of the panhard and steering rod, the latter causes your steering to be off center. The correct way to put it backs straight, is to lenghten the steering rod.

Greetz,

Filip

PS: In theory, panhard and steering rod should be parallel to minimise bumpsteer, which should also cancel the effect a lift has on the steering. In practice, this isn't completely the case, but normally for a 2" lift the effect is not that obvious.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You can also take the steering wheel off and re-fit it a couple of splines around the shaft (mark the wheel and shaft before removal). Extend the drag link too much and it's not as structurally sound. Plus if it's been on for a while you will struggle to undo the ends from the shaft anyway.