Ford F250 - Opinions ?

zim

Ok ok ok..i know...it's not a LR. But it is still at least a 4x4 v8 :P It'll be replacing a p38 4.6 !

I'm looking at a new tow truck. Like the look of dodge ram 1500's (5.7 hemi), but the bigger trucks have caught my eye. Looking at Dan H's dad at the last challenge in his dodge 2500 has made me think about the option of going diesel.

Does anybody on here have an F250 ? In particular the 6.0 powerstroke v8.

On paper they've got a tremendous 325bhp and 540 (ish) ft lb torque. Looking at 2004 - 2006 ish.

I realise fuel won't be amazing, but at the moment i'm doing between 6 - 8 mpg on LPG whilst towing. A lot of my driving is towing. I don't drive to work so this is not an issue. Neither is parking in town / city, as i hate going into town !

Any comments on them ?

G

I hd a 4x2 F250 in OZ V8 petrol , good for towing , very american tide quality ( floaty) . Dont expect jag/merc quality fittings and finish , but it was grunty and surprisingly reliable. Plenty of room in OZ so OK but would not be very UK friendly so good job you dont want to go to a tesco carpark much ., Drive one first !

I hd a 4x2 F250 in OZ V8 petrol , good for towing , very american tide quality ( floaty) . Dont expect jag/merc quality fittings and finish , but it was grunty and surprisingly reliable. Plenty of room in OZ so OK but would not be very UK friendly so good job you dont want to go to a tesco carpark much ., Drive one first !

Totally agree. Quite a few of them here in Brisbane but the roads are bigger and the car park spaces are bigger generally here. Would find it a bit difficult to drive around the uk.

Ali

I have the older F350 with 7.3L Powerstroke (2002) as a work truck. The later 6.0 Powerstroke isn't as highly rated in some circles as the 7.3, mainly from the US aspect of 'it hasn't done 250,000 miles with no maintenance', though one of my clients has a 2005 6.0 F250 and had a major intercooler/turbo total failure at low mileage.

As for recommending one, if you are looking at towing long distance then I highly recommend it. Effortless cruising and great stability (mine is 172" wheelbase) plus many, many creature comforts in the luxury models. Mileage on the 7.3 works out as 12mpg / 23.5L/100km when towing, 17mpg / 16.8L/100km light.

The only thing I would say is that insurance and weight capacity can be a head ache, in the UK. The specailist insurers don't like the over 3500kg GVW, plus I can't get full business use insurance, only basic carrage of own goods. I've looked at replacing ours with a RAM 1500 as it's under 3500 GVW yet still can tow 3500kg+.

I recently had the pleasure of hiring a 2010 F350 Super Duty with 6.8 Triton V10, it was a slow thirsty barge with build quality somewhere below a Ford Transit. The owners manual even features a warning not to use the overdrive if you're towing because it will break. Redeeming features were the mirrors which go in & out electrically. This was un-redeemed by having to get out of the car and engage the free-wheeling hubs before you can put it in 4WD mode, even Land Rover gave up on that idea 30 years ago.

. This was un-redeemed by having to get out of the car and engage the free-wheeling hubs before you can put it in 4WD mode, even Land Rover gave up on that idea 30 years ago.

Mm you have never driven a Toyota and Nissan then as they have the same. And they say they are better than land rovers

Hi g, my dad is thinking of selling his dodge that you were looking at, he's had fords and dodges and thinks the dodge is a better built truck, and the cummins engines are known to be far superior to almost any engine of that size, hope this helps,

Dan.

The only thing I would say is that insurance and weight capacity can be a head ache, in the UK. The specailist insurers don't like the over 3500kg GVW, plus I can't get full business use insurance, only basic carrage of own goods. I've looked at replacing ours with a RAM 1500 as it's under 3500 GVW yet still can tow 3500kg+.

Cheers for the reply, i'll be honest - the above is what scared me. Yes, i could go out and get my Class C license (may as well get c and c1 at the same time + trailer). But then my insurance would be no good. I have trade insurance which is up to 3.5t, thus i'd need to take a new policy out. I can't cancel my trade policy as i use it a fair bit (for exporting vehicles).

Thus.....i've found an F250 which has apparently been plated at 3.5t. Meaning my normal car license and insurance would be ok :) Granted, i'll only have a "small" payload.

Dan - cheers for the reply, i'll have a think.

Hmmmm......i always swore i wouldn't go back to diesel, but now i'm contemplating it :lol:

G

Hi g, my dad is thinking of selling his dodge that you were looking at, he's had fords and dodges and thinks the dodge is a better built truck, and the cummins engines are known to be far superior to almost any engine of that size, hope this helps,

Dan.

My some what limited experience of having an F150 for the past 4yrs is.... buy the Dodge.... better build quality, more reliable (the overdrive brg failed at 90,000km.... cost me $3500cdn to get it fixed, and it's a known issue that Ford won't cover under warranty.... but they do sell an upgrade kit).

One thing we do find good is the economy (4.6L gas engine), compared to my modified D2.... we take the F150 for trips shopping etc. but our nearest Costco is a 6hr round trip and collecting the outlaws from the airport is a 14hr round trip.

Talking to friends that have the Dodge trucks, they say the Cummins are the best you can get, alot superior to the Fords.

Hope that helps....

Andy

Thus.....i've found an F250 which has apparently been plated at 3.5t. Meaning my normal car license and insurance would be ok :) Granted, i'll only have a "small" payload.

Be VERY Careful about that. In theory it's possible to down rate perfectly legally. However, on the F350 crew cab, long bed the curb weight is 3400kg or similar (can't remember exactly), so by the time you have a passenger and your sandwich box in it you'll be over loaded. The Police are suprisingly well informed about this sort of thing and will weigh you to establish legality.

It's for this reason I've been looking at replacing the F350 with a 150/1500 (1/2 ton) truck so that you have a 3500kg gross weight vehicle with a decent tow rating and loading margin. However this normally rules out the HD diesel engines.

This is one reason for building the Chevy 3500HD, because it's basically a 7 ton (or 1.5 ton in US talk) truck on a tiny wheelbase with no body, meaning you can rate it at 3.5t and still have some loading margin and the heavy duty running gear for towing.

Insurance is an issue too. Basically I can insure mine as a private car for business use, but not as a business vehicle. This means we are restricted to the numbers of drivers and type of use it can be put to.

Also although parts are cheap enough and relatively easy to source, for using the truck as a proper works vechicle, any delay in supply can cause a problem. For this reason we keep a stock of service consumables.

They do tow well though:

post-5209-0-48945100-1322815689_thumb.jpg

Totally agree. Quite a few of them here in Brisbane but the roads are bigger and the car park spaces are bigger generally here. Would find it a bit difficult to drive around the uk.

Ali

I spent a bit of time in the US, where there's loads of these, they are massive things, it'd be like having a lwb transit, the stress of trying to park it would be enough for me :D

Froget the truck...i wanna wake board behind that ship !

Cheers for the replies :)

A 4x4 crew cab, with 6.75 bed has a nett mass of 6,538lb = 2965kg. Leaving a 635kg payload.