Axle choice

redrodant

The main problems I had with the LC locker acutators were water ingress and over heating the motors leading to the magnets falling off. It seemed like after every wet event they needed stripping down and rebuilding. Changing to the air acutator must be the way forward.

Those axles off my truck can't be low mileage judging by the rebuild work I did on them (Bearings, brakes, all seals etc), plus they've had some abuse over my and Yella 90's ownership, so not suprising a CV let go in the end!

I've never had ANY issues with my E-locker actuators. I've sealed the housings with silicone sealant and extended the breather hoses into the engine compartment. The electrical connections have been stuffed full of vaseline to keep them from rusting. Both housings have been coated in oils that drie up to protect them from water and corrosion.

The only downside with the rear locker is that it is slow to engage due to the 6 'spline' locking collar. But I know it is and I try to engage it while making a turn to make it lock quicker. Or slow wheelspin. I'm not doing challenges anyway.... I've got plenty of time.....

I too have not had any water ingress problems, thats depite my actuators being really badly corroded, the only problems i've had are a few wire breaks and i've knocked the plug off the rear difflock enguaged switch.

As far as speed goes i think the rear is quicker than every other factory difflock i've had.

ive never had ingress troubles as the breathers are raised and the actuators are all sealed

ive also sprayed the insides with a moisture spray which i guess will be similar to what you used toyroverlander ( i work in the marine industry so use alot of it )

my problem is magnets, but i always have a spare housing to drop on

ive also sprayed the insides with a moisture spray which i guess will be similar to what you used toyroverlander ( i work in the marine industry so use alot of it )

I doubt it.... I use ordinary oil to treat garden furniture :hysterical:

Works a treat! The stuff dries up and forms a strong protective layer. I coat everything with the stuff, chassis, axles, exposed bolt threads, brake pipe fittings.... the whole shebang. Prevents rust and seizure of bolts/nuts and such.

What trouble do you have with the magnets?

I even managed to bring this one back from the dead.... Looked absolutely spotless from the outside, perfect housing.. no corrosion, good paint... But the inside.... :blink:

actuator4.jpg

actuator3.jpg

actuator2.jpg

Got it looking like this.... and although being very noisy it works ! :i-m_so_happy:

IMG_8152.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

go on, this is where you tell me its cheaper than £17 for a 500 ml aerosol !!!

on second thoughts, i actually dont want to hear it.

magnet wise, they drop off.....its mainly due to not being as careful as we should during comps which is down to my ohhh f it, it'll be ok attitude

at the end of the day there doing something they were never intended to do. i for one love the axles for how much abuse they get and they just come back for more.

I can't even remember how much the stuff costs, but it can't be more than €25 for a 5liter can. And I did the whole underside of the cas twice with that amount. I use a spraycan thing (like for watering plants), fill it with the oil and then warm it up a bit so it sprays better. Works like a charm, the next day it has dried up. I still got runners on the door from a few years back, when I filled the inside of the doortops. This stuff doesn't come off easily.

I'll be alright then by the sounds of it :)

• 2 weeks later...

assuming you aint putting any form of power through them then yeh, but even a 300tdi can break a mog diff.....

Quite a statement! There's absolutely NO reason why a 300tdi would break a mog diff easier than a toy diff! Have you even had the two in your hand? Oh and mog axles can be done a lot cheaper than £2K+. You could buy them from me cheaper, and ready to throw under a landy ;)

i use toyota 70 series cruiser axles, probably a bit to narrow for a landy but they use the same size/spline shafts & cv's as the 80,

i run 37" boggers with 4.88-1 diffs and have only ever broke 1 aftermarket cv. now i use longfield 27 spline cv's and with 150 bhp

through them ive had no problems so far. Lets face it if you drive hard and compete alot rover axles need upgrading and for

shafts cv's cwp 4 pin pegged diffs and lockers your looking at a large amount of loot, say 2.5-3k ??? but the cruiser, you will pick up a good pair with lockers for a grand if not less and £400 will buy you a pair of longfield cv's throw in a gasket & seal kit with new bearings etc. and your done. They will take 200-250 bhp & bags of torque all day long and you wont brake them as easily as ashcroft & kam etc. as for patrol im sure its a similar story but the cruiser is more popular and more available around the world and the uk.

well you must be either light footed or very lucky, this year i had the pleasure of co driving the "paul bass" challenger 4x4 90 and within 20 mins of a challenge event we had sheared an ashcroft shaft on the drivers side at the cv destroying the cv too. thats with a

300tdi and 35" well used simex tyres???? maybe just bad luck.

Toyroverlander,

What oil is it you are using? Would you mind telling me?

Thanks,

Mick.

I doubt they got the same stuff in the UK as they have over here. I can't even remember what it's called. Basically it's based on natural oils and is used to treat your wooden table and chairs and stuff you keep outside in the garden. The oil gets absorbed by the wood and dries up. When used on the underside of your car it just dries up and forms a nice strong layer.

Should be available in every hardware store.

well you must be either light footed or very lucky, this year i had the pleasure of co driving the "paul bass" challenger 4x4 90 and within 20 mins of a challenge event we had sheared an ashcroft shaft on the drivers side at the cv destroying the cv too. thats with a

300tdi and 35" well used simex tyres???? maybe just bad luck.

Nothing light footed about me...just a good driver.

If you are shearing ashcroft shafts and cv's so soon into an event I would suggest you get in touch with them.

I am sure they they would appoint you as director of advertising immediately.

maybe, but for my first expirence with a landrover offroad and in a competition too, it was a bit dissapointing. davids gear is very very good and the customer service is probably the best in our community from what ive heard. but with the many cases of broken cv's and the advent of the force 9, its obvious to me that ashcroft know the rover axle and upgraded parts are not 100% upto the job. the force 9 on the other hand looks better than any toyota axle and at something like half the price of spidertrax its got to be the axle of choice for the serious competitor

maybe, but for my first expirence with a landrover offroad and in a competition too, it was a bit dissapointing. davids gear is very very good and the customer service is probably the best in our community from what ive heard. but with the many cases of broken cv's and the advent of the force 9, its obvious to me that ashcroft know the rover axle and upgraded parts are not 100% upto the job. the force 9 on the other hand looks better than any toyota axle and at something like half the price of spidertrax its got to be the axle of choice for the serious competitor

i think the Ashcroft stuff is more than upto what it was designed to do for the market and the type of events we were doing at the time. Both have moved on. people fit bigger tyres (they are upto 35"?) and the terrain we now ask the vehicles to cover has evolved greatly in the last 2 years.their original internals suited when they came out and still suit now as the best alternative to std in my opinion for your normal challenge events.if you want >35 tyres and more grunt and drive the vehicle hard then you need more.you wont find anything better though for an aftermarket simple upgrade to LR axles than Ashcroft in my opinion.

Troll!