Axle choice

redrodant

@ mr whippy

don't take this the wrong way by any means, but you dont half talk rubbish at times.

before the mitsimog was born it was the norm to see 35" simex everywhere, which the ashcroft stuff was designed for as at the time it was the only thing really getting used.

did anyone complain about the products then like they do now ?

i think you will find no they didn't.

after the mitsimog came along events evolved, cars evolved, tyres got bigger and more agressive and engines got bigger.

this pushed the rover stuff past its limits so its hardly ashcrofts products as back in the day they did the job fine....and still do ! try using box std shaft/cv combo's and see how long they last.

if you intend on running bigger hp engines, bigger tyres and want to be competative then you simply need to look at other options,

i could see that my ashcroft axles wouldnt keep up so i swapped over to yota axles and never looked back.

at the end of the day its not the product, its just how it is now with the level of competition and the high demands at events.

i think the Ashcroft stuff is more than upto what it was designed to do for the market and the type of events we were doing at the time. Both have moved on. people fit bigger tyres (they are upto 35"?) and the terrain we now ask the vehicles to cover has evolved greatly in the last 2 years.their original internals suited when they came out and still suit now as the best alternative to std in my opinion for your normal challenge events.if you want >35 tyres and more grunt and drive the vehicle hard then you need more.you wont find anything better though for an aftermarket simple upgrade to LR axles than Ashcroft in my opinion.

i never new that the ashcroft std replacements were only designed for upto 35" tyres?? well you learn something new everyday.

@ mr whippy

don't take this the wrong way by any means, but you dont half talk rubbish at times.

before the mitsimog was born it was the norm to see 35" simex everywhere, which the ashcroft stuff was designed for as at the time it was the only thing really getting used.

after the mitsimog came along events evolved, cars evolved, tyres got bigger and more agressive and engines got bigger.

this pushed the rover stuff past its limits so its hardly ashcrofts products as back in the day they did the job fine....and still do !  try using box std shaft/cv combo's and see how long they last.

if you intend on running bigger hp engines, bigger tyres and want to be competative then you simply need to look at other options,

i could see that my ashcroft axles wouldnt keep up so i swapped over to yota axles and never looked back.

at the end of the day its not the product, its just how it is now with the level of competition and the high demands at events.

so what i said then!

@ mr whippy

this pushed the rover stuff past its limits so its hardly ashcrofts products as back in the day they did the job fine....and still do ! try using box std shaft/cv combo's and see how long they last.

ok ?

Is Dave Ellard changing his axels or just starting a thread and running for the hills then? :hysterical:

Is the zuke getting a makeover?

dave's just bored i think,

half tempted to ring him just to give him abuse

james i didnt even read your post so i do apologise for copying what you said .

i never new that the ashcroft std replacements were only designed for upto 35" tyres?? well you learn something new everyday.

Hi Mr Whippy,

they were designed to be as strong as possible within the constraints of the rover axles and the 24 spline at the diff whilst also being cost effective, when we released them in 2005 we were the first to offer a 5 year warranty and technically this is limited to 35" tyres, in reality this is very hard to police and we are well aware many customer use them on larger tyres but we still extend our warranty and replace with no questions asked,

As mentioned above when these came out in 2005 they were a major step forward, that was when 33" tyres were the norm and 35" tyres were deemed big, things move on and now 35 is the norm and many run bigger, with these bigger tyres we are now at the limit of cost effective reliability so time for something else, thats why we developed the Force 9 axles,

There is no right or wrong axle, for some, stock is OK, for many that want easy effective bolt in strength we sell our HD range, for those that have time and fab skills there are axle swaps like toyota etc, then theres the force 9 axles which are new and are aimed at the competitor who has gone beyond our HD range and wants total reliability,

Dave

hi david, i hope i didnt get your back up, that wasnt my intention, im just posting my thoughts and what ive seen in the three years that ive been offroading at a competitive level. Near on all the breaks ive seen in rover axles with either kam or your own product have been with trucks using bigger than 35" tyres or in the case of pauls truck after some considerable use. the warrantee you offer like i said is second to none and in that case there were no problems. i didnt realise when posting that they were designed with 35" in mind and now i know thats the case, maybe my posts were incorrect. however i feel that if you want to run bigger than 35" and you dont ever want any breaks fit force 9's (or spidertrax if you've a spare 25K) failing that toyota is in my opinion a better option than any rover axle stuffed full with all the best goodies mogs are too heavey and volvo portals take plenty of stick but are a tad too wide for me. like i say its my opinion. for what its worth.

Hi Mr Whippy,

they were designed to be as strong as possible within the constraints of the rover axles and the 24 spline at the diff whilst also being cost effective, when we released them in 2005 we were the first to offer a 5 year warranty and technically this is limited to 35" tyres, in reality this is very hard to police and we are well aware many customer use them on larger tyres but we still extend our warranty and replace with no questions asked,

As mentioned above when these came out in 2005 they were a major step forward, that was when 33" tyres were the norm and 35" tyres were deemed big, things move on and now 35 is the norm and many run bigger, with these bigger tyres we are now at the limit of cost effective reliability so time for something else, thats why we developed the Force 9 axles,

There is no right or wrong axle, for some, stock is OK, for many that want easy effective bolt in strength we sell our HD range, for those that have time and fab skills there are axle swaps like toyota etc, then theres the force 9 axles which are new and are aimed at the competitor who has gone beyond our HD range and wants total reliability,

Dave

mr whippy ?

• 2 weeks later...

to be honist on a budget you cant do much better than patrol, overall its going to have cost me £250 for the pair, thats with an lsd for the front and a vacuum locker in the rear, ok its a bit more fitting than an ashcroft'd axle..... but for the price....

I have been running GQ Patrol axles under my Disco trayback for a couple of years now and they have had some pretty heavy abuse. I gave £300 for mine so not quite as cheap as n.r.g's

Advantages

4.11 R&P so can run 35" plus tyres with correct lowbox gearing

9" Crown wheel is mega strong

Shafts are about 50% larger diameter than stack LR and breakages are near enough unheard off

Vented discs all round

Factory fit rear difflock

Better steering lock

Disadvantages

Rear pads fall out of the calipers when they get worn low resulting in fluid loss as piston comes out (happened to me and a Dutch team on the Croatian trophy)

Rear axle is semi-floating so pulling shafts and doing bearings in much more involved than Land Rover

The rear locker design is quite crude and engagement is pretty slow and SHOULD NOT be attempted when wheels are spinning. My brother managed to destroy my sliding fork by doing so and it is not a cheap replacement.

Front swivel balls cannot be changed like a landrover but they are greased CVs not oil bathed so some corrosion doesn't really matter.

Central rear diff can lead to vibrations form a poorly balanced propshaft.

Free wheeling hubs need to be sorted out or they will create problems.

Overall though, for the money, they represent a very good & cheap upgrade to someone with the fabrication skills to fit them themselves. If you had to pay someone to do the work then upgrading to Ashcrofts HD would probably work out just as cheap and give more peace of mind

in a month or two, need to get little toe (v8 sj) out first, although i think thats just going to sit up in a field untill the landy's out again.

theres quite abit to do,

* nos

* front winch

* patrol axles (which need stripping down to swap diffs around and get a new cv)

* new tyres etcetc

so a few months probably, although if i blow anything at the next event then it might be 2 weeks haha

If u concider that thay come wiv steering ram, ect, and no need for armour, then there not quite so heavy, compaired to all the steering + axle of a landy, And who needs wide, when weight will hold u down, and u have massive steering angles and u actually fit through gaps ??