Cracked dash instrument housing & binnacle

reb78

Both the speedo/gauge/warning light housing, and the binnacle that it attached to have decided to crack quite badly on my 110. One side is now hanging and i suspect the other will break soon.

I was going to purchase the raptor replacement binnacle:

http://www.raptor-engineering.co.uk/defender-s111-binnacle-mount

but does anyone know of an uprated instrument housing? I might just have to get another from ebay (unless someone on here has one knocking around....).

Thanks Nick,

A new plastic binnacle is more money from lrseries than the uprated raptor version! so yes, i agree, it does seem good value.

As for the instrument housing, it is cracked down the side where it screws to the binnacle housing. I could try and repair it, but if i could pick a housing up cheap, that might be best.

I may have a defender binnacle in the shed if you're not in a hurry.

That would be handy. Let me know what you want for it. Thanks :)

No real hurry - just keep looking at it when i get in and thinking 'i should fix that really'.

I purchased and fitted the "Raptor" in my 90 300tdi back in August and have to say it's well worth the money and well designed.

It makes the dash binnacle area very solid no annoying rattles and will never crack or split again! I hate doing the same job twice so this

at least is a 1 time job and as for price it's the same there or about as a genuine part (that will crack/split at some point again).

I personally don't think you will be disappointed with the Raptor mount.

Cheers Mutley

I was one of the first to register an interest and then purchase the Raptor binnacle mount and it is great. A new genuine replacement will eventually crack in exactly the same way so they are a good long-term value for money solution.

The instrument console is made of the same plastic and cracks in exactly the same way, I sold a couple of repaired ones on Ebay lasy year and was amazed at how much people are willing to pay for one that is only slightly better than their own. Personally I am waiting for the steel replacement one which is meant to be on its way from who know who!

Personally I am waiting for the steel replacement one which is meant to be on its way from who know who!

Seems the next step - i was almost suprised not to see it there already! My instrument console broke before the binnacle did.

• 1 year later...
Personally I am waiting for the steel replacement one which is meant to be on its way from who know who!

Was this from Raptor Litch? I contacted them the other day and just over a year from your last post, they say they dont have plans to build one at the moment, so i just wondered if you meant someone else?

I spoke to Phil at Raptor yesterday at Donington 4X4 show. He said that he intends to manufacture the clock housing when he gets some time; he has had a lot of requests for them. I'll be in the queue to get one.

Well, i hope they do!

This was my reply from them last week:

'Hi Richard

Thank you for your enquiry. Glad you are pleased with the Binnacle Mount. Sorry we have no plans at the moment to produce a replacement Binnacle. It may be something we look at in the a future but I am unable to say when at the moment Regards Julie'

• 8 years later...

I have been driving my '88 110 for many years. However, one of my bugbears was various bits and pieces of my dashboard breaking off with the constant shuddering over rough terrain. After you replace parts often enough you start getting irritated. I looked around for options on overcoming my problem. Raptor products were reasonably priced by they did not go far enough and I felt they were just patchwork for a fundamentally flawed product. I then found a company called : www.slk4x4custom.com. Their complete replacement dashboard was completely different and innovative. I have since bought and installed one and am very happy with the result.

Haha. I am still driving around with the cracked binnacle. Thats ten years after starting this thread. Theres no point replacing it as i have to whack it whenever the speedo stops working which just breaks it more! (And Mo gave me a good housing as promised above... its in a cupboard. I must fit that!)

Edited by reb78
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jamesbush said:

I have been driving my '88 110 for many years. However, one of my bugbears was various bits and pieces of my dashboard breaking off with the constant shuddering over rough terrain. After you replace parts often enough you start getting irritated. I looked around for options on overcoming my problem. Raptor products were reasonably priced by they did not go far enough and I felt they were just patchwork for a fundamentally flawed product. I then found a company called : www.slk4x4custom.com. Their complete replacement dashboard was completely different and innovative. I have since bought and installed one and am very happy with the result.

that must be the worst looking dashboard i have seen in years ....

• Like 1

My last post on this thread  was in 2011 when I said that I was waiting for the Raptor binnacle to become available.

Looking through my vehicle history I see that I fitted the Raptor binnacle in 2015 so it was some time coming but well worth the wait (I have since replaced the warning light screws for matching ones, funny how such a tiny detail gets to you!). 😁

DSCF0053.JPG

I thought about getting the centre console & gauge binnicale but not keen on the mushroom head screw showing everywhere, so kept the LR binnicale & bought a mudstuff centre console instead, it the screws where countersunk I might have gone for the raptor parts.