Dual mass flywheel or not ?

Hi all,

The time has come to replace the slipping clutch on my TD5 90, I ( as in the garage) willmalso be replacing the flywheel as matter of course, my question is --- shal I do like for like ie another dual mass jobby, or I have been offered a solid type instead, they have fitted one to a similar truck and noticed no different in feeling or complications since,

my feelings are-- the STD dual mass one has been ok for 108k along with the clutch so I should stick with that type, But I'm also thinking a solid one can't really go wrong or wear as much as in bushes etc,

whatsyabthoughts please ???

P.s money wise is pretty much the same foreither option

Definitely not a solid one imo.

It will send more vibrations down the crank, it was designed to have one and this will have been taken into account.

Even a different flywheel weight has a noticeable affect on high speed diesels.

This was discussed once with the people I use for gearboxes and he agreed, when he fits one at the customers request he has yet to drive one which wasn't worse off for it.

My opinion has no direct experience on the TD5, just diesels i've tested etc.

The DMF we fitted to my friends Pajero was nearly £1000 though which was quite a shock mind you.

Dave!

The last 2 conversions I have done have been with Britpart kits and both have been fine so far (just over 12-months). One is on a 90 which pulls huge trailers of hay around a farm, and the other is a Disco which regularly pulls a 2-horse trailer.

Not that I'm recommrnding Britpart parts, but their flywheel conversions seem to be ok on these 2 occasions.

Les.

Not a Defender, but I've just done the clutch in my Td5 Disco. I'd always stick with the DMF, as Landrover probably didn't do it for fun, did they? I've not heard any problem stories regarding the solid swaps, but for me it's similar to saying 'surely this Td5 would run better if I converted it to four cylinders'. I can't find the quote now, but I'm sure the price was only around £200 for a new DMF.

The DMF is pretty loose on my Disco, but I opted to leave in there and fit the new clutch and see what happens. At 175,000 miles of heavy towing and abuse it's not making any noise or causing any problems, while the new clutch and spigot bearing have cured all my previous issues.

Dual mass flywheels were designed for diesel engined vehicles to smooth out engine vibrations and prevent them from being transmitted to the gearbox, supposedly making for a better gearchange, especially 1st to 2nd, and protecting the transmission.

A good idea but not cheap !

Steve