New MoT Testable Items from 01 Jan 2012

Puffernutter

There really is nothing to say whether they were fitted or not on the mot paperwork.

So the tester can only really go on his knowledge and experiance. With petrols its easy. Not with diesels though especially landrovers, as both 300tdi's and td5 were manufactured with and without cats.

My take on it as a tester, is that if you presented your defender with a stock noncat front pipe then i would pass no advisory, if however you presented your defender with a cat front pipe that had clearly had its cat cut out of it i would fail it.

It gives a sequence for the abs light, and i would imagine in march when airbags come in it will give a sequence for them as well. Currently there is no data about whether a cat is fitted or not.

As an aside, i have once had an audi that i failed for the abs light not illuminating, on closer examination the car had no abs modulator fitted and non of the abs fuse locations had terminals in them. I contacted vosa they told me that if there was no trace of a system fitted then i couldn't fail it.

Since then i have tested a track prepared bmw that had all of the abs system removed. Again i asked and my local AE said to assess the conversion on its merits and if i was happy, to pass and advise. Which i did as the braking system looked we'll put together (lots of brembo/wilwood and braided hose on show)

So under that logic i'd say you could convert a airbag disco to non airbag spec and as long as you'd done a tidy job you'd be ok.

At least i'd have a go at getting it through.

Sounds fair enough to me, thanks for clarifying DD.

I guess those concerned about the cat issue can simply blank it off internally and leave it externally connected. Since the MOT check is for presence of the system, and not function, this would suffice.

Interesting idea James, although wouldn't it be drill out rather than blank off? I wonder how long till de-cat pipes that look exactly like cats get released for diesels?

Well, I'll admit I'm not entirely 100% on the operation of cats having never owned a vehicle fitted with one (other than the furry purry kind). But yes, I think you're right. Remove the internals of the pipe and re-fit, and there you go :)

Same could be said for EGR system, which I think is another thing they need to be present now, so you'd fit a blanking plug to that and re-fit the pipework (now redundant) so the system is still present :)

When I worked in Australia years ago the presenc of a cat in the exhaust system was required for certain age vehicles.

Fitting "sport" cats was common, basically a working cat but with more flow through it, they were legal but not cheap.

More common at the cheaper end as suggested above was to remove the cat and drill a hole through the middle before refitting it. provided the engine still passed the emissions requirement this passed as there like here the tester is not allowed to take the vehicle apart to test stuff and so long as the outside looks genuine it passes.

By the way I am talking about the steel exhaust pipe type of cats not the furry / purry kind as drilling a hole through the middle of one of those and attaching it to your car would be very messy.

By the way I am talking about the steel exhaust pipe type of cats not the furry / purry kind as drilling a hole through the middle of one of those and attaching it to your car would be very messy.

Don't think puss would be that pleased either!

my speedos even more out now. i was following a mate doing 44 and my speedo said 21.

and having passed an MOT in january 2012. there was an oil leak present. didnt fail. he didnt check the speedo, in fact the only difference i could work out was the piece of paper you get at the end.

I wonder if an adapter could be machined up to allow a TD5 electronic sender to be added?

I don't have a series xfer box to check, maybe Retroanaconda could check the feasabilty (I know he has a series vehicle and is also familiar with the TD5 sender). If this could be done we could fix the discrepancy with a modified TD5 speedo (assuming you would accept a modern speedo in Brian).

Amusingly yours would be the one vehicle where the B***part sensors double pulsing would be almost correct :P (just to be clear I'm not recomending you use the BritPart one!)

Anyway if you are interested maybe we should start another thread so as not to go off topic?

What's the small number in the speedo read?

It could of course be that it is faulty, but also out, and also not calibrated to your drivetrain, you may find a different speedo from say a Triumph or other road-going car actually fits and is accurate for you...

IIRC the number in the dial is the revolutions per mile, work this out with your drivetrain and wheel combo and then start hunting....

Still under the umbrella subject, what about the towing socket? As far as we're aware, the tester plugs in a test board which has to work....the socket must be secure...(must do mine!)..what about internal beeper when indicating?

Isn't it a 'tell tale' ie can be bleeper or light?

Still under the umbrella subject, what about the towing socket? As far as we're aware, the tester plugs in a test board which has to work....the socket must be secure...(must do mine!)..what about internal beeper when indicating?

The MOT electrical test of towing-sockets only applies to the Euro-type 13-pin variety.

Your traditional 7-pin version only has to be present, and secure.

--Tanuki.

I have worked for several Motorhome dealerships in the last couple of years. All have suffered from multiple cat thefts, one lost eleven in one night , replaced them all and lost nine a week later.

The general rule now tends to be to replace with a straight pipe. If it becomes a problem on the MOT. it will be back to the expensive option and more thefts.

Strikes me that Land Rovers have good ground clearance in common with Motohomes, making them a possible target too.

On the bright side, I suppose its a way of contributing to the economy's of countries to the East of us.