Defender 90 exaust replacement

Paddy

Help please, I need to replace the ‘spark arrestor’ RRC7343 and rear silencer/pipe on a 1991 2.5 NA diesel, ex military. Looking in the parts catalogue the pipe, hangers, mounts show me I have a NA front pipe ESR1617, then the spark arrestor, then a Turbo rear NTC1802.

Spark arrestors are priced from £120 to £500, so when I came round, I thought about a normal silencer. Is the Turbo silencer NTC1665 a straight replacement for the spark arrestor? Does the Turbo NTC1802 pipe and silencer exit sideways just to the rear of the rear wheel arch (its not clear in the catalogue)? If yes to both then I can order the parts as straight replacements.

After a bit more delving, the holed ‘spark arrestor’ I have is not RRC7343 which is 870mm long, mine is the same shape but only 470mm long flange to flange, so it would seem that the cylindrical NTC1665 will slip into its place. Just out of interest can anyone identify what I have from the photo?

Fork, getting parts here isn't too easy, especially when its not direct replacement. Trial and error would take weeks, delivery is a crippler!!

P1010001.jpg

Parts come from the UK usual places like lrseries, p/craddocks, rimmers. Good news today when I found a place that stocks and makes exhausts in Enniskillen, GT Exhausts. If they haven’t one in stock they’ll make it, what more could you ask for and its only an 45 minutes from Cavan. looks like the diesel turbo cylinderical silencer will fill the gap. Sorted, thanks.

only reason for a spark aresstor on a petrol engined military vehicle would be to allow that vehicle to access weapons [bomb/missle] storage areas on a airfield or a bulk fuel installation & aircraft hangars, diesel engined vehicles don't have them fitted.

a straight through pipe or a suitable silencer would do the job you want.

I remember from my oil refining days that all diesel engines, be it plant or vehicle had to be fitted with a chalwyn valve and spark arrestor before use in a restricted area so assumed the same would apply to military vehicles. Yep your right Ralph, 2.5 TB silencer NTC1665 (or equivalent) is a straight replacement. Up and running quietly now thanks.