4/6 bolt steering box differences

Having managed to bend my HD steering arm (in front of axle, drag link?) when out with the j33p club at 7sisters recently I decided to fit the Gwyn Lewis drop arm conversion kit at the same time.

Everything came off fine but on trying to put the new disco drop arm in place we quickly realised that the arm I had wasn't the correct fitment onto the splines to my 6 bolt steering box. I phoned Gwyn and he confirmed that it would only fit onto a 4 bolt box.

So... I had to straighten the HD bar I already had and refitted everything as was again.

But my question now is, not wanting to waste the kit I bought are there any differences between the 6 bolt box I have and a 4 bolt box? Are the hoses/connections the same too? And as it will no doubt be easier for me to source, is a Disco 6 bolt the same?

Edited cos im an eejit

Edited by smokinv8

First off, the Disco only ever had a 4 bolt box. The drop arms from the disco and defender 4 bolt units are compatible. Your best bet would be to "upgrade" your 6 bolt unit to a later 4 bolt one. They are pretty cheap 2nd hand and once you have one you can do a recon exchange for reasonable money if it turns out to be a bad one.