Rear Shock Bushes

Good Morning!

After the 90's MOT I was advised that the top rear shock bushes were starting to wear, so replacement of these is on the 'to do' list.

However, I can't seem to find any information on the procedure for this other than it being simple job. so I was hoping someone could 'educate' me?

How do you guys remove the old ones? Can they be a pain to remove?

Some of the pictures of the replacement kits I've seen have 3 pieces, and some have just the 1 piece - what should a kit consist of and how are the piece(s) fitted to the eye of the shock?

to remove cut the nut with a hacksaw or nut splitter if you cannot unscrew it from the damper pin, obviously if you cut it off, then a new nut will be required, the end of the pin has 2 flats for a spanner to hold it still, while unscrewing the nut.

page 531 shows the order of fitting

the dished washer fits top & bottom, the washer with the lip fits each side of the lower mounting bracket

Are you talking about the lower shock bushes Western?

I didn't make it clear - it's the top bushes I'm talking about. Although an element of doubt has crept in my mind now so I really should check the paperwork but I'm sure it was the upper bushes...

Are you talking about the lower shock bushes Western?

I didn't make it clear - it's the top bushes I'm talking about. Although an element of doubt has crept in my mind now so I really should check the paperwork but I'm sure it was the upper bushes...

OOps, didn't see the top bushes bit, they should push out or cut through the outer tube, fold it in on itself & knock out, new ones are pushed in with aid of a press or big sturdy vice or big hammer.

Thanks for the replies guys.

OOps, didn't see the top bushes bit, they should push out or cut through the outer tube, fold it in on itself & knock out, new ones are pushed in with aid of a press or big sturdy vice or big hammer.

I didn't originally say top bushes, I did edit it - forget to mention that! The main reason I asked this in the first place is because the replacement bushes I've seen appear to not have an outer sleeve and are a perculiar shape, like two cones fitted together top to top. Like this...

webshop1%20001.jpg

If the bush's are that worn what are the dampers like? Not a lot of point rebushing worn dampers.

Good point, however as far as i know the dampers aren't leaking and there isn't a lot of 'bounce' at the rear so I assume they're ok. Probably worth taking a closer look though, to be sure

That twin-cone type bush is for shocks that have the same shape on the inside of their top mounting ring. The inside dimension of the ring reduces towards the centre then expands again. That combination is, I think, to help the shock stay "self-centred" on the bush when it's getting a work out.

Ray.

Not necessarily, different shocks use different bushes. They should all fit the axle and chassis mounts, but their design and shape may differ.

To fit a new bush to the top eye, either force it in there with a vice etc. as above, or I have heard of people cutting them in half and fitting them like that. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work as a stop-gap, it's how Series shocks are done.

Cheers Retroanaconda. I'm pretty sure the dampers on the 'bus' are made by Armstrong which I'm sure I've read somewhere are who make them for Land Rover. So hopefully I won't come across too many problems fitting the new bushes.

Once again, I'm chuffed with the response on this forum. Big thank you to all who have replied, Merry Christmas to you all and all the best for 2012!

Mark