Water Water everywhere, especially down the inside of the drivers door

Hi, '99 plate 110 sw....well i now have a wet leg from water that appears to have collected in the U shaped chanel that bolts the roof to the side panelling. When i braked it followed the channel and ran out by the drivers door.......Anyone had this before and worked out where the water was comming from ? Ive insulated the roof so have ruled out condensation, but i could be wrong......

Either:

• Condensation as you say.
  • Leak through alpine window seals.
  • Leak through roof panel joins.
  • Leak through bottom of external roof channel, that ends up in the internal roof channel.
  • Leak through some non-standard hole such as that for an aerial etc.

Or a combination of the above. All the leaks can be fixed with sealant applied to the seam/cracked seal/gap etc.

Guest wunntenn

Me too. But. Its not coming from the channel as you suspect. I sometimes get a flood, so much that when cornering it arcs across and hits my crotch. As I've no headlining (and an insulated roof) I can see where it might be coming from, and I know its not condensation, nor is it a leak as all potential cracks and seams are sealed with marine sealant. Putting fingers into the channel reveals it is perfectly dry even though a flood of water has come out, and in some conditions will continue to do so as I drive. The water appears to be coming from below the channel area but is really hard to locate. I've come to the conclusion its capillary action and is coming from somewhere lower down. Had it for years now and no getting rid of it. My solution is a strip of j-cloth stuck into the channel and the tail of it pulled down and stuck out the window. This 'wicks' the moisture out as the moving van dries the wet end and it continually 'sucks' the water out. Just remember to pull the tail out before you open the door.

thanks for these optoins, it looks like a busy xmas holidays.......there are some paint cracking in the external gutter channels. It is parked on an angle front to back so i have positioned blue paper towel at intervals along the channel and see if i can locate an area where it is coming in then closely examine that point from there....figured if i can reduce the area to inspect it has got to help......cheers.....will keep you posted

Mine does this and I had a good look into it earlier this year on a day that we had rain. There are 2 u channels inside, the larger one that you can get your fingers in and the one that is quite thin and runs next to the roof.

I sat there as it started to chuck it down with the headlining out and with a torch and a dentist mirror, watched as the water slowly sleeped into the smaller channel along the full length of the roof eventually forming a puddle at the rear of the Landy (my drives on a slope and I have to reverse it down the slope otherwise I have a big puddle in the footwells. At the moment I have some kitchen tissue stuffed into the rear channel area to soak up the water to avoid 'wet leg syndrome'.

My plan, some time next year, is to look into sealing this area with some 'expanding powder' that I saw on the Boats n Bits website that apparently stops leaks.

I don't know if this helps, but I removed the rotten headlining from my 90 and have been suffering a torrent of water streaming forward from condensation from the roof panel. You would be surprised how much water collects on the roof panel, then when you drive and stop or turn the condensation collects and then pours down the front. I have a hard top without alpine windows, so i can only assume it is condensation causing my wet feet, hands, arms head etc..

Hi mate had something similar on my 90, turned out to be the external joint where the front sloping part of the roof meets the top section tried everything ! sealed that, turned out robert is your mothers brother! No more leaks well at least not from there !