Removing engine and gearbox in one?

I'd guess that it could be done but you are going to need a hell of an engine lifter and it's going to come out almost vertical even with the radiator removed due to the length of the combined engine+gearbox.

Whats wrong with just dropping the R380 ?

im not sure in a defender, it may be possible. the gearlever will have to come off. its possible in a disco or at least if i cut out the front panel.

i suppose that the front panel comes out in a defender so thats a help. theres only 1 way to find out though.

Gear levers are off, radiator is off and front panel removed. Will give it a go tomorrow and let you know what happens.

With installing the TD5 and zf4 I need to mate the two together and then put them in bolting up the gearbox, then I can mark where the new TD5 engine mounts need to be welded. So if the engine and box can go in and out as one will be a lot easier and quicker.

Watch this space....

I pulled the complete V8, auto box and transfer box out of mine in one.

I then reversed the operation with the TD5, Auto box and transfer box in one lump. I removed all the levers and the handbrake drum and assembly from the rear of the transfer box first.

Did it with just two of us and an engine crane on the drive.

As well as removing the front panel, remove the bumper if you are using a crane as it gives you an extra 6 inches or so reach. Removing as much of the gear change mechanism as you can will make life a lot easier to get it under the bulkhead.

Putting the TD5 in you'll find it's a close fit as the turbo goes through the gap between the wings, I removed the driver's side engine mount to give us a bit of a safety margin as we didn't want to scratch the inner wings. It will fit without but we only had 1/2 an inch each side with the engine mount in place.

:hysterical: why didnt you use the JCB to just lower the Disco onto the engine+gearbox+handbrake+driveshafts

That would require removal of the front axle, so probably no big gains to be had :(

I definitely agree about removing the bumper to gain more reach, especially for engines like the 200tdi that are mounted well back in thge engine bay. With my V8 I just got away without taking the bumper off ;)

Take the gearlever off and just hook the hoist to the rear lifting eye on the engine, 300+R380+LT230 balences just nicley then.

Putting that lot back in with a MM engine crane on the one lifting eye was 20 times quicker and easier than using the forklift with straps on both lifting eyes.

We pulled my 200tdi out complete with transfer box the trick is to get a jack under the gear box for support then pull the engine crane backwards.

Its dangerouse as the engine crane could topple so be careful and make sure you sweep up any bits of grit that could jam the little wheels of the crane.

If I can post images I will but I cant finsd the paper clip symbol :blush:

Good luck

JTJ

post-13733-0-48212700-1324734812_thumb.jpg

post-13733-0-80673400-1324734848_thumb.jpg