xmas has come early!

rusty_wingnut

During the last minute "man rush" at the shops I was having my own shopping experience, picking up this delightful and highly original 1954 86" Series 1.

IMG_0308.jpg

The plan is to weld on a new rear cross and outriggers, then overhaul what's necessary and getting her back on the road ASAP. She was last taxed in 1976 so there is bound to be something wrong but I am willing to be naive and feed off the charm factor for now!

Happy Xmas LR4x4 :D

Yeah 2ltr spread bore, with all original wiring/fuel fixings complete! The panel beating is a minor thing compared to the rest, she needs extensive chassis welding, but is worth saving because of how complete it is, none of the horrible Land Rover bodges have been found. I think that with a replacement bulkhead and a few days chassis welding I can get it running again.

I think that was my mate pulling it up the A283, it was found down Southampton way.

I literally bought it unseen from my best pal, I've been after a swb Series 1 and this fitted the bill (money wise!) nicely.

If anyone has a half decent 86/88/107/109 Series 1 bulkhead I would be ineterested to hear from you!

My ex had an ex-War Dept 80" with the siamese bore engine in and I had a 1957 86" S1 with the spreadbore engine in. I fully rebuilt both of them :) Strange how the pistons come out. Parts were still available then, though a bit expensive (D-lamps were £140 each :( )

The S1 club bought some pressing equipment and were selling stuff like crossmembers - original pressing (the guy did it while we were there). Most traders advertise in the Magazine and on their website.

Les.

Indeed the club are now producing many of the rare parts again, along with various other private interests.

Radfords seem to produce the best chassis sections and did the galv bulkhead for my 109. if I remember correctly from rebuilding the engine on that, the pistons have to go in from below due to the size of the con rod big ends.

just usable Jason, I am going to do the sort of restoration where you save something because it is original/old rather than replace it with new because it will be better! I made that mistake with the 109 and have spent many hours refitting the original Series 1 equipment to that and undoing engine mods etc.

The layers of paint over the original are flaking off, so hopefully we can keep her in original patina, get the vehicle running correctly and repair the rust.

Cool, mine is in no way concourse and I kind of like it that way, it annoys the carp out of the rivet counters when they tell you this is not correct, that is not correct!!! The paint was a match to something it was painted, I wiring is all wrong which I am not keen on but had to replace the rotted stuff, I wanted to get it through it's MOT so again stuck standard lights on it. I do have trafficators and D lamps now and will get round to it some day, but first order is to get a replacement canvas, a MOT and use her.

Jason.

mine is/was the same (brian)

origional paint untill now, which had been patched up but it blended in, and polished up quite well, but still had the small dings and scratches in the bodywork. i liked that, and wouldnt have painted it if i didnt crash, but i was never going to get the right panels in the same shade of faded as the rest.

mine is also TDI'd something i will NEVER regret. and the cb, beacons, fairy lights etc.

then again the series 2 is going to be damn near as origional as possible.