Full Hydro Steering.

alan kemp

Sort of means?? All I want is for it to pass MOT, no intention of driving it on road other than between sections, Tesco etc..

Jez, is the pic before Billing or have you stripped it down yet. Most impressed with yours, fingertip turning, awesome, thats why I want it!!

Have you sorted the wheels yet for disc break conversion? I dont want to buy it and find I have no wheels..

Maverick, portals matey, portals..... still looking for some. Well done with the V8!!

if you want the same dont be tempted by forklift take-off bits, do it right and its epic, get it wrong and its a nightmare

Nowt wrong with fork lift bits,

Who needs steering with "feel" anyway?

Answer?

Girls, who are scared of breaking their (space-saver) axles!

you need to work out the travel required from the ram, the speed you want the ram to move at, the fluid capacity of the ram, the displacement of the steering valve (or orbitrol type depending on what you want out of the system), the power you want available and use all that info to decide the pump required. its not tricky, you just need to think about it first :)

hey jez,

Assuming that you had your last vehicle (above) SVA'd did you run into any problems with having no mechanical linkage to the steering column?

what is the reference to the speed limit you made? and is this a self-imposed limit (ie do you just accpet that you have been told you can onl do 40 or do you have to have a mod that limits your spee to 40?)

what is the steering like at higher speeds and what sort of feel do you get?

I would assume that with the huge pressures in the steering system then you have MASSIVE TREs or equiavalent and fairly funky track rod?

Assuming that you had your last vehicle (above) SVA'd did you run into any problems with having no mechanical linkage to the steering column?

SV what? its a 68 series 2 with a roll cage - is that my taxi waiting, must go....:ph34r:

what is the reference to the speed limit you made? and is this a self-imposed limit (ie do you just accpet that you have been told you can only do 40 or do you have to have a mod that limits your speed to 40?)

I never exceed the legal limit for any given highway.. :unsure:

what is the steering like at higher speeds and what sort of feel do you get?

The steering system gives two options, either I can bulldoze or let it respond, self centring isnt affected, it drives just like anything else

I would assume that with the huge pressures in the steering system then you have MASSIVE TREs or equiavalent and fairly funky track rod?

stock volvo TRE's

Hey Jez,

Some more questions if you don't mind (i rather seem to have hijacked this thread- sorry alan)

Have you had any probs getting an MOT with this steering setup?

what pump are you using- by my calculations i need a pump which flows around 10l/m minimum to get lock to lock of 3 turns and at a rate of 2turns/ second. I can't find any technical info for standard landy pumps- can you help? i don't know if they are fixed or variable displacement. what pump are you using?

if you have a fixed displacement pump connected to the crank pulley and you rev the engine don't you get a greater flow velocity? does this not mean that the steering becomes unstable as you rev the engine- i am assuming this doesn't happen but i don't know why?

i assume you are using a balacend cylinder- that's what it looks like. did you source it from the UK or the US? is it load reactive?

really like this idea- and the more i look at it the more i like it. Don't really want to get caught out by installing Hydro Steering and then not being able to pass either SVA or an MOT!

Have you had any probs getting an MOT with this steering setup?

None at all

what pump are you using- by my calculations i need a pump which flows around 10l/m minimum to get lock to lock of 3 turns and at a rate of 2turns/ second. I can't find any technical info for standard landy pumps- can you help? i don't know if they are fixed or variable displacement. what pump are you using?

ZF74 12ltrs/min

before you go off and running send me down the specs of what you want to use, I'll check the maths for you (Im not taking the mick - its just easy to miss calc)

Stock landy pumps are about as effective as a bicycle pump :(

if you have a fixed displacement pump connected to the crank pulley and you rev the engine don't you get a greater flow velocity? does this not mean that the steering becomes unstable as you rev the engine- i am assuming this doesn't happen but i don't know why?

look at the flow curve of the pumps, refer back to the manufacturers figures and go from there, a ZF74 hits 12ltrs/min at 1000rpm and stays flat from there on out, in my opinion its does exactly what I want it to do

i assume you are using a balacend cylinder- that's what it looks like. did you source it from the UK or the US? is it load reactive?

From Squeeky Sean in the US, tell him I sent you - he's a good lad :)

really like this idea- and the more i look at it the more i like it. Don't really want to get caught out by installing Hydro Steering and then not being able to pass either SVA or an MOT!

MOT is no prob, SVA will be, site the orbitrol in the right place and you can flit from full hydro to conventional in a couple of hours :)

[homer/on]mmmmm modularity [homer/off]

Hope that helps?

I'm a big fan of full hydro. But...

I also need to pass an SVA. Jez - your suggestion of using a regular system and changing after is good and would probably get you through, but I wonder if there isn't a system which maintains a solid mechanically linked system and hydro assist in a robust way - thereby being legal AND 100 percent groovy?

I know it exhibits roughly 14.35 percent less bling factor, but... meh.

Something like the power steering kit for series landies would probably be a good place to start (obviously useless under these circumstnces - I'm talking about ideas and principles here). If you can brace the input from the hydro against something solid, you're half way there.

Anyone got any input on a legal (not just scrape an MOT, but truly DVLA/plod-proof) system? It must be possible, and if it's doing and real road work, having a mechanical link in the background is a nice plan in my opinion.

Al.

G merc, unimog, ford Cargo

because I use landy chassis its a no sweat job to change between the two,

Ram assist on a Landy box will provide a stronger solution than a stock system, the D2 box doesnt feature the daft undercut on the sector shaft so a D2 ram assist would be my choice if it had to be green oval, failing that as Dan has just played a rotund bald santa claus Im kinda impressed (god it pains me to say it Dan :lol: ) with the G merc box - mega sector shaft on that puppy

as an added bit of tech (ish) dont stress about belts failing and you loosing steering, pick the right valve supplier and its not an issue - some nice experts at Billing told me how I wont have any steering when the belt fails, they wouldnt believe me even after I turned the motor off and they watched me turn the wheels lock to lock

bless em

I'm a big fan of full hydro. But...

I also need to pass an SVA. Jez - your suggestion of using a regular system and changing after is good and would probably get you through, but I wonder if there isn't a system which maintains a solid mechanically linked system and hydro assist in a robust way - thereby being legal AND 100 percent groovy?

I know it exhibits roughly 14.35 percent less bling factor, but... meh.

Something like the power steering kit for series landies would probably be a good place to start (obviously useless under these circumstnces - I'm talking about ideas and principles here). If you can brace the input from the hydro against something solid, you're half way there.

Anyone got any input on a legal (not just scrape an MOT, but truly DVLA/plod-proof) system? It must be possible, and if it's doing and real road work, having a mechanical link in the background is a nice plan in my opinion.

Al.

There is such a system. I didn't wanted but i have seen these peoples website in US. Can't remember who it was but give this guy a cal and he wil help you out.

Sean Stapley

Performance Off-Road Systems

1712 Indian Pines Rd.

Wetumpka Al, 36093

Phone# 334 567 7229

Fax 334 567 7220

I discussed this stuff with him. I bought full hydr. at his place. Very nice guy to deal with.

I think that car is only 2" high and driven by hamsters over pebbles, or possibly the mushrooms in my pasty are a bit suspect...

good call on the steering though, I could blend a bit of that in B)

cake and eat it anyone??

need to ponder if a pas or non-pas box would be grooviest in that setup :ph34r:

I think that car is only 2" high and driven by hamsters over pebbles, or possibly the mushrooms in my pasty are a bit suspect...

good call on the steering though, I could blend a bit of that in B)

cake and eat it anyone??

need to ponder if a pas or non-pas box would be grooviest in that setup :ph34r:

It think he runs staight through orbitrol and a pas box,

Imagine how long it would take to get the strokes to run right and get it so that the rams weren't fighting each other :o