'81 Range Rover + Thor 4.6 V8

jagwit

Hi All

I converted a Thor 4.6 (as found in P38 Range Rover) to high compression (with ported heads) and installed it into a friend's '81 Range Rover.

No major issues but the following presented a few challenges:

1) Heater hoses (Jaguar hoses I had lying in the garage offered a solution);

2) Coolant return from inlet manifold to header tank required an additional connection to the header tank;

3) clean air supply ;

4) fuel supply: An external, adjustable fuel pressure regulator is used with a fuel return back to the tank. I installed a submerged fuel pump into the tank - same as what is used in Disco 1 V8 (95 onwards) - but had to use the fuel level sensor connections (already not functioning) to get power into the tank.

5) Fan cowling - Modified a Disco1 cowl. Still, even without a cowl, no overheating is experienced although temp is not as stable as what it is with a proper cowl. Using an external 82degC thermostat (Freelander) and water hoses as per Disco2.

I'm using the original Crank Position Sensor, original coil pack and idle valve but engine management is under control of Megasquirt 2, modified for wasted spark to control the coils directly via a forward ignition module I built to keep EMI noise away from MS. An air flow sensor is not needed in this implementation but a real time barometric sensor is imperative to cater for altitude changes. Knock sensors are not being used.

post-9531-0-26375300-1325419871_thumb.jpg

post-9531-0-73462100-1325419890_thumb.jpg

post-9531-0-85864500-1325419919_thumb.jpg

"How does it drive?"

Very, very strong. I change gears at 1200rpm!

Its the old story. Engine is now nice and powerful (considering we live and drive at 1500m AMSL = 0.85 bar) so now the old 4-sp gearbox is begging for a 5th.

Those 0.01Ohm resistors are to effect a current limit action in the unlikely event of the IGBTs being switched on too long, to protect both coil and IGBT.