RaspberryPi + TS + touchscreen

nicksmelly

I've been looking at the boring dashboard and wondering what to put in there. The idea of some local storage and a wireless card to pick up and sync my home MP3 collection when I'm parked up on the drive seems tempting. I'd rather do that then muck around with CDs or iPod connectors.

Tunerstudio runs on Linux... Raspi runs Linux, but not sure what version yet.

I'll be interested to see what linux version will run on it. Broadcom usually add a significant amount of patches to the linux kernel to work with their chipsets and are very secretive about their chipset specifications requiring signing of non disclosure agreements to get any documentation.

Most of the people using their chipsets just use the reference design that broadcom supply with their development kit. It will be interesting to see if there does end up being a choice of distros or people end up stuck with just the one with a lack of support.

Do the touch screens contain their own drivers etc to do their stuff independant of an outside OS? Will the screen be reasonably plug and play or are you going to have to be some kind of code wizard to make this work?

If you're lucky and they have Linux drivers and there's source code available (not just binaries), you may be able to make it work by recompiling it for ARM.

I imagine you'll be pulling an ArchLinux with these things: compile EVERYTHING from source, spend a few weeks doing that, then notice it doesn't work too well, and throw it all in the bin.

If you're lucky and they have Linux drivers and there's source code available (not just binaries), you may be able to make it work by recompiling it for ARM.

I imagine you'll be pulling an ArchLinux with these things: compile EVERYTHING from source, spend a few weeks doing that, then notice it doesn't work too well, and throw it all in the bin.

I wouldn't be quite so negative about it. I would imagine someone will repurpose a phone or tablet touchscreen to work on it and get a howto up on the web fairly quick after launch.

It may be tricky to do if you decide to be the pioneer ... but there will be plenty of people trying it.

You should be able to use a display such as this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260920951001

Drivers for these are available at http://www.lilliput.com.cn/en/service02.php

I've used a previous version of that type of screen and driver under a couple of operating systems, so ought not be too complicated - they do a Debian package, which I beleive the RaspberryPi will be supporting. I got dissappointed by the poor light output from the display I was using, and so the car-puter project never got finished. At the time, it was an install for my MG TF, but especially with the roof down, a serious amount of light was required to compete with the sunshine.

The RaspberryPi should also support a composite input, and as I still have the screen, I may resurrect if for a play around.

Kev

Elbekko - cheer up, life's not so bad! :mellow: The Pi seems to be attracting a lot of geek love before it's even hit the market, so I would anticipate all the main hurdles will be overcome in short order, and the Megasquirt crowd will more than likely fix the rest pretty soon after.

a serious amount of light was required to compete with the sunshine

This is always a problem - by day you need a bright screen, by night you really don't. I have a TFT stereo/gps in the freelander and even dimmed right down at night it's not that great. This is why I like the Itronix / Toughbook laptops as they usually have decent daylight-readable screens. It's also why the dashboard for the 109 isn't going to include any TFT elements even though it would make life much easier.

Elbekko - cheer up, life's not so bad! :mellow:

It is when you start messing with custom Linux distros :lol:

This is always a problem - by day you need a bright screen, by night you really don't. I have a TFT stereo/gps in the freelander and even dimmed right down at night it's not that great. This is why I like the Itronix / Toughbook laptops as they usually have decent daylight-readable screens. It's also why the dashboard for the 109 isn't going to include any TFT elements even though it would make life much easier.

I think an eInk screen would be perfect for a dashboard, but perhaps a bit expensive still.

James / Elbekko,

What you describe is in the offing, as ever time & money allowing but I have a head start in that I can re-use a board from work that has a lot of hardware already on it (and that I wrote all the code for). e-ink is pricey unless you buy an old Motophone F3 from eBay and a Ti MSP430 launchpad, some chap's already had the F3 apart, documented it and written the driver. That's my down-the-line plan for a secondary display but first job is to make gauges work... to avoid thread hijack I might start a new one if there's interest although I had been avoiding it as I don't have a lot worth sharing at the moment.

My name is on the Raspberry Pi list too! I think it's a great concept - and I'm sure I'll find something to do with it. At the end of the day, it's a cheap ready built micro controller by any standards.

I've been considering using a kindle for a digital dash. They are fairly easy to root - details here:

http://www.jeffreybian.com/1/post/2011/1/kindle-development-101.html

and then it's programmable in Java (could be worse!)

I wonder if it's possible to peel the silver backing off the display & replace it with an electroluminescent panel. If not, a sheet of polycarb, side illuminated with LEDs works pretty well. That ought to give something easily readable day or night and programmable.

Just a thought!

Si

James / Elbekko,

What you describe is in the offing, as ever time & money allowing but I have a head start in that I can re-use a board from work that has a lot of hardware already on it (and that I wrote all the code for). e-ink is pricey unless you buy an old Motophone F3 from eBay and a Ti MSP430 launchpad, some chap's already had the F3 apart, documented it and written the driver. That's my down-the-line plan for a secondary display but first job is to make gauges work... to avoid thread hijack I might start a new one if there's interest although I had been avoiding it as I don't have a lot worth sharing at the moment.

I'll not be able to give much, if any help, but I'd love to see what you get up to Fridge :)