'orrible clattery sound

HoSS

I have developed a horrible 'clattery' sound from the front of the V8.

At first i thought it was the water pump, but it seems to be coming from the PAS pump area now.

I will have to pop the belts off & feel it, but is this a common way for the PAS pump to fail i.e. bearings?

or is there something else in this area i should be looking for?

p.s Can the pump be rebulit?

Um... I really hope I'm way off the mark here, as I don't know of anyone else who's had the same problem, but that sounds ominously like mine before the timing gear broke up :(

I had a rattle for some time that I thought was a shot bearing on one of the ancillaries but couldn't quite pin down - until the engine died on me:

med_gallery_1_126_99241.jpg

ouch, will remember that one for the future, was that a nylon centred timing gear?

The teeth round the outside are nylon - I think those stripping is not an uncommon failure - but the hub and arms of the gear are cast alloy of some kind. I can only guess that there was a flaw in the casting.

Ah, I know of in the classic motorcycle scene of a batch of magneto drive gears that were made of nylon, it just happened to be made from a nylon that was more hydroscopic (as in it sucks water into it as much as it can) than most nylons which all have a tendency to absorb water, at which point they "grew" and shed all their teeth into the bottom of the timing case when run. Dunno whether Rover gears suffer from any moisture hung-up in the oil?

Ah, I know of in the classic motorcycle scene of a batch of magneto drive gears that were made of nylon, it just happened to be made from a nylon that was more hydroscopic (as in it sucks water into it as much as it can) than most nylons which all have a tendency to absorb water, at which point they "grew" and shed all their teeth into the bottom of the timing case when run. Dunno whether Rover gears suffer from any moisture hung-up in the oil?

Dunno - this one had done about 150k when it failed, and no sign that the nylon part was responsible for the failure. Should have listened to everyone who told me to do the timing gear when I did the head gaskets :(

Dunno - this one had done about 150k when it failed, and no sign that the nylon part was responsible for the failure. Should have listened to everyone who told me to do the timing gear when I did the head gaskets :(

ah, yup sounds like old age in that scenario, these things happen :)

I'm pretty sure it's the PAS pump - ive not had the belts off yet, but rocking the pulley with the belt in situ shows a bit of radial movment & a light 'clunk'.

Anyone rebuild one of these? I see the bearings & seals are shown as separate parts on EPC

Geoff - when your timing gear joined it's maker - did it do anything nasty to the valves etc?

I'm pretty sure it's the PAS pump - ive not had the belts off yet, but rocking the pulley with the belt in situ shows a bit of radial movment & a light 'clunk'.

Anyone rebuild one of these? I see the bearings & seals are shown as separate parts on EPC

Geoff - when your timing gear joined it's maker - did it do anything nasty to the valves etc?

The pushrods still look straight, but I haven't found time to strip the engine down properly and find out yet :(

Fortunately it was at idle revs when it broke, coming onto a roundabout. No nasty grinding noises, but the RAC man did turn it over quite a few times before he decided I'd lost drive to the dizzy...

Someone posted photo's of a PAS pump strip down in the last few days - might have been in the Discovery forum? If you take the PAS pump belt off does that stop the noise? That would fairly convincingly convict the pump (which does sound knackered - there shouldn't be any obvious lateral movement, especially with the belt on...

The problem when the bearings go is that the impeller tends to act like a milling machine bit and eats the pump casing. My advice is take the belt off and check its the pump and then find a replacment. Annother clue to pump failier is check the PAS fluid for signs of swarf.

Annother clue to pump failier is check the PAS fluid for signs of swarf.

Do this by running the engine for a minute or so and then dip a magnet in the PAS reservoir. If it comes outn like a pink Christmas tree you know you have a problem. :)

Chris

it was me who posted pics of a PS pump in bits. it is in the disco forum, cant remember the name of the thread but i think it was started by Peterla.

the bearing died on my PS pump & replacement was £6 rather than a new pump. my seized totally & was still fine inside when stripped.

it was me who posted pics of a PS pump in bits. it is in the disco forum, cant remember the name of the thread but i think it was started by Peterla.

the bearing died on my PS pump & replacement was £6 rather than a new pump. my seized totally & was still fine inside when stripped.

Andy - any idea which model that one was? Part no? Any idea the part numbers for the bearings, seals & gaskets that you needed?

cheers