Sign in to follow this  
cleggy156

truck cab problems help

Hi can anybody help... I have a land rover series 1 1957 88", I decided to fit a truck cab for the winter instead of the canvas I have currently, so I went on the net found one advertised for the 88, I brought it home and attempted to fit it, once put in place it appears to be the wrong roof for the vehicle, there is a large gap around the top and down the back of the doors (see attached pictures), so I decided to do a bit of research on the web... it appears that there is only two types of truck cabs one rare cab that fits the 80" and only the 80" and one that fits the 86" 88" 107" and 109" is this true?,.. the other thing I decided to do was pop down to craddocks and see what they say, the guy I spoke to deals with all second hand parts for the series 1 he was not to helpful he said he only knows of one type of cab top for the series 1, but he did agree that the back panel on the one I have is slimmer that the one he knows and recognises can anyone shed some light on the subject cheers guys. Regards Ian

post-30636-0-97500500-1325628606_thumb.jpg

I hate to say it but you're not the first person this week to be complaining about ........ staff....... at Craddocks, a friend is after Series 1 exhaust hangers, apparently there is an 'expert' on SI's at Craddocks, who couldn't tell the difference between LHD and RHD exhuast hanger brackets or something.

I suggest asking Dunsfold, they may be of more help

It looks like the strip that holds the door seal is missing.

As above I think it is the sealing strip missing.

To be honnest I use the rag top in winter and the Truck Cab in summer as it is easier and quicker to remove.

post-1119-0-39868600-1325716445_thumb.jpg

post-1119-0-75070600-1325716601_thumb.jpg

Pics from Internet.

Marc.

Can't see a seperate part number for a sealing strip in my copy of the '48-'53 parts cat, unless its an integral part of the back sheet and someone's removed it for some reason

The 48-53 parts book is too early. In the 54-57 parts book it shows them 13 & 15 are the missing bits. Sorry for the bad phone pic.

post-1027-0-24060200-1325790074_thumb.jpg

~I've found a lot of things missing in that book! truckcab's in there though!

hi guys bit new to this forum stuff so bit slow at using the site.... cheers for the replies.. well i can see in the manual there is possibly a sealing strip missing but it still also seems that the back panel is slimmer than some i have seen... there was another roof on ebay i looked at and that back panel appeared wider... there is almost an inch to inch-and-a-half gap all the way down surely the weather strip wont be that wide?

i have attached a photo of the roof as you can see it seems the back panel is slimmer that missingsid has posted, it also seems different to the one showen in the manual?

post-30636-0-01371400-1325794390_thumb.jpg

There's remarkably little on an 80 in that fits a S1 86 or 88. The reason is that the 86 S1 was a redesign to take advantage of the first 5 years or so of Land Rover use and to presumably reflect the uses to which they were being put.

The 86 in is 6 inches longer overall that the 80, with fundamentally the S2/3 dimensions. In about 1949 the driving position of the 80 had been improved a little by narrowing the tub front bulkhead top rail and partly sloping the front of the tub - and for the 86 the tub was lengthened to 4 ft, the back of the cab was re-arranged with straight-backed doors, the footwells were pushed forward under the wings with the familiar angled footwells ahead of the floor panels and so on.

The 80in doors end level with the seat backs - the later vehicles have more room there. 86 truck cabs were really for 107 LWB vehicles - and like S2's there should be a filler plate to fill the gap between the base of the cab and the top of the bulkhead.