Old Gasket residue - how to remove

galwayguy

Following the brilliant advice here - thanks to all involved - I need to remove the residue left by the old head gasket. It was one of the new MLS type & it has left a grey residue, presumable the stuff that bonds the shim to the head. It's hard to remove & I obviously don't want to scratch the alloy.

If you've got a few hours, dab some "Nitromors" oil-based paint-stripper on the gasket-remains. This will soften the bonding-agent that's holding bits of gasket to the head/block surface.

Then scrape off with a *soft* scraper (hard nylon or aluminium, *not* steel - you do not want to scratch the mating faces!) blow out with an airline any oil/particulate matter from the area where the head-bolts go into the block, and swab down with Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone to remove all traces of residual oil/grot before reassembly.

A clinically-clean set of head- and block-faces is essential before reassembly: likewise you do not want anything down the head-bolt-holes that could affect the bolt torque.

--Tanuki.

"It's like having a whole saturday-night-town-centre-after-the-clubs-have-closed

experience going on inside my skull. Except without the vomiting, the kebabs or

the sex-pest minicab-drivers".

Fine wet or dry lubricated with oil, make sure you use a sanding block.

I would advise against this on a head gasket as the surface must be kept flat & smooth, rubbing abrasives on it or scraping it with something that could gouge the aluminium is a risky business.

That said, I find these scrapers really good:

http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-windscreen-tools/miniscraper-and-razor-blades.html

8103_1.jpg

Hi

I have used the above tool and it is very good at stripping, but go easy and keep all of the blade edge on the flat.

I have found a wide wood chisel useful also, use with great care.

If you get any debris down any of the oil or water galleries grab the hoover and suck it out.

I would advise against this on a head gasket as the surface must be kept flat & smooth, rubbing abrasives on it or scraping it with something that could gouge the aluminium is a risky business.

http://www.frost.co....zor-blades.html

8103_1.jpg

Always used the wet and dry method during my 50 years as a mechanic, no problem as long as you use a flat sanding block to keep the surface flat. Using any kind of metal scraper on aluminium type heads can result in a badly scored head.

I always made my own scrapers, by flattering and grinding a bit of copper water pipe. For the final clean I use the finest of those abrasive polishing pads - like the plastic brillo pads, but much finer - and some brake cleaner.

You can buy spray cans of gasket remover, which sometimes helps - I've only used it on composite gaskets though.

http://www.frost.co....zor-blades.html

8103_1.jpg

That's what I used to get the remains of the composite gasket off, they're scrapers for glass-plated electric cookers. They do go dull quickly when you use them on edges though, so be careful, as then they will score the mating face.