110 Elevating roof - anyone done it?

Guest wunntenn

Guest wunntenn

In the slowly ongoing conversion of my 110 to a comfy camper/exped van I'm looking at the elevating roof idea as a way to gain a second floor for sleeping and the ability to stand up (at the rear at least) to cook inside if needed.

The german stuff looks good but is outrageously expensive. Like this.

So the idea of diy appeals, I'm a joiner and can weld too, and have glassfibre experience, so not put off by the technical side of it, but I wonder if anyone else out there has done it successfully, and might have plans, cut lists, or advice?

And also crucially, am I missing some UK legislative hurdle that prevents such messing about with one's roof and which means I should just forget it?

I'm discounting the dormobile because I've an idea to use fabric sides for summer use and carry two wedge shaped alloy/foam sections one for for each side that can be clipped in externally, along with a square section for the rear, thus easily converting the roof to winter-spec and be well-insulated as well as a good windproof bad weather option. Modern hinge/gaskets are pretty good and reasonably water resistant, but even a slight bit of damp ingress will be met by the inner fabric anyway, which will also help prevent condensation. These panels can be carried on the roof or clipped inside out of the way with no problems as they can be very light.

Any experts been there, done it?

Guest wunntenn

Had a look at them Ross, but the roof isn't long enough. The full length lifting roof allows a couple of adults to be sleeping up top, with a child (we have one of them) sleeping below across the width behind the seats. As the full length lifting roof is so long there's sufficient length to allow you to lie full length, but space left at the end to let an adult climb down and make a brew without interfering with anyone.

Hey,

Ive a dormobile and I bought it secondhand. I would suggest/recommend them. I would have thought that if you were to hang/add a second layer on the inside. Maybe carpet, this would help with the condensation and also add a layer of insulation.

I got mine complete with roof from what I think was a 60s/70s land rover. I had to renew the canopy, repair some of the glassfibre, replace the windows and rubbers and then I refitted/fabricated it onto a 110 roof. Im very pleased with it.

Since I got mine I have seen 2 others in similar condition for £250.

I personally think the dormobile ones are expensive new but I was prepared to put some time into overhauling mine. I think Ive spent roughly £750 doing mine including buying all the parts etc.

Hugh

Years ago, at Billing I saw a superb DIY roof conversion. I didn't take any photos but the owner allowed me to have a look.

It was an original roof which lifted on four over-centre gas-strut linkages. When they were pushed over centre, it tensioned the sides pretty tight. When it was collapsed, the goof sat perhaps 5mm above the screen and body sides - so barely noticeable.

Around the mid-line of the plasticised fabric sides of the extending roof was a length of elastic which meant that as the roof collapsed the elastic draws all the fabric inwards.

From one end of the vehicle to the other was a steel tube running down the middle. This reinforced the centre of the bed (to stop you rolling together. The bed was formed from ply slats. The bit above the cab was made from webbing straps (so you don't bang your head on the underside of the bed). The head end was made from solid ply with a liftable hatch on either side hinging on the centre pole which allowed access and to be able to stand up in the vehicle (to put your pants on!). The mattress was just made of foam. The foam at the foot end was thinnest to maximise head room while driving and the pillow end was glued to the opening hatches.

I thought it was fantastic as it gave you a standard looking Land rover for most of the year, but something you can turn in to a camper in 30 seconds. The bed was easy to get in to and comfortable - but for me, most important, it was longer than I am tall - which is rare! The owner was taller than me - probably about 6'9".

I've thought about it a lot since and I plan to build one one day! I think you could make the whole thing for less than £500 including the fabric sides.

Si

Guest wunntenn

Cheers Si. Yes I think there's a useful route with this idea, as it leaves the vehicle looking pretty much standard, does not add much in the way of additional wind resistance, and is quick to operate. The ability to remain inside and operate all the gubbins in the dry is what I'm after. Material costs are not that much, its the time to do the detail work thats critical to cost.

I'm a carpenter by trade and have a good understanding of the relative strengths of ply braced with pine and have made several sleeping areas in Land Rovers that are multi-functional eg my last one had the sleeping area made of thin ply, but supported underneath by the storage boxes. When the platform sections are removed they form a table top, resting on the storage boxes, and two separate smaller storage boxes with therm-a-rest chair kits on them create the seats. That way you can minimize weight of the sleeping area without compromising strength, and do away with having to carry a table and chairs = a weight saving of about 10lbs. This type of construction is fiddly and requires a lot of forward planning and care in design but allows a lot of flexibility and weight saving.

I had the curtain sides for my ramp made by http://www.tarps.co.uk/. The ramp is outdoor and I built a telescopic roof that lifts with the ramp and curtain sides which follow the apex of the roof on the sides. They made a beautiful job of it and are very reasonable cost wise. They just charge by the sq meter and didn't seem to charge me for all the sewing.

I talked to them about making the above and they said they had made several wrappers for trailers and similar things. The material they use is exactly the same as the curtain sides of trucks. Reasonably heavy but strong and waterproof.

Si