110 Elevating roof - anyone done it?

Guest wunntenn

I was pondering this for my 110 some time ago. I love the elegant solution of the ParkRanger conversions of the 60's, which also add width, but fold into a standard looking vehicle.

Not an easy DIY job, but nice.http://www.expeditio.../parkRanger.htm

Have a look at my old thread here: http://forums.lr4x4....showtopic=52048

you could always buy an old scrapped vw Type 25/ type 3 camper from the 1980's/90's, the one that looks like a brick, (actually called 'brikkies). you would want the westfailia one really, and cut off the roof panel, then graft this onto a smooth roof for the 110, using the vw roof as a method of fixing. You'd obviously need to check width, but they are wider than older vw campers. Have a search on 'the brickyard' its a forum site, but DO NOT...... i repeat DO NOT be tempted to look at ANY vw SYNCRO campers.. or any associated LINKS to videos, of for sale links. You will end up wanting one of these puppies more than any thing else in the world. Imagine a fully kitted pop top camper, with 4x4 and diff locks as std. vitually no overhang front or rear, these things are like mountain goats.... :blink: I'll stop now.

eg

029.jpg

you could always buy an old scrapped vw Type 25/ type 3 camper from the 1980's/90's, the one that looks like a brick, (actually called 'brikkies). you would want the westfailia one really, and cut off the roof panel, then graft this onto a smooth roof for the 110, using the vw roof as a method of fixing. You'd obviously need to check width, but they are wider than older vw campers. Have a search on 'the brickyard' its a forum site, but DO NOT...... i repeat DO NOT be tempted to look at ANY vw SYNCRO campers.. or any associated LINKS to videos, of for sale links. You will end up wanting one of these puppies more than any thing else in the world. Imagine a fully kitted pop top camper, with 4x4 and diff locks as std. vitually no overhang front or rear, these things are like mountain goats.... :blink: I'll stop now.

I will never forget the face of some drivers at the last Abingdon 4x4 Festival, one of the marshals had a Syncro and was pulling people from the mud run in it :lol:

my parent in laws have a T25, and me and the wife do all the VW camper shows with our business, always constant banter between them and us VW vs LR and I must say I've had a good natter with the Syncronauts on many an occasion but having done plenty of work on the PIL's T25 there is no chance I'd ever buy one !!!!

Its always fun being (usually) the only Landrover in a field of 1000's of VW campers!!!

Just had a dig through my snaps and found this I saw in SA.

I'd like to see someone put together the UK version using a length of piano hinge, trailer tarp, gaffer tape and of course, some chequer plate :i-m_so_happy:

Yep nice work there. I saw that one in Maun

Just had a dig through my snaps and found this I saw in SA.

I'd like to see someone put together the UK version using a length of piano hinge, trailer tarp, gaffer tape and of course, some chequer plate :i-m_so_happy:

I even know where that was taken i think - Storms River? It was also that windy last time i was there ;)