Today's Britpart fail...

MrKev

As we all tend to agree avoid Britpart, but I thought I would take a gamble on a Britpart HD rear bumper. After all, it's quite hard to get a piece of metal like that wrong, right? Wrong.

Take a look at this. I snagged the end of my bumper on a tree going up a hill.

6660236977_a640603803.jpg

Untitled by MrKev, on Flickr

Here's a close up of that weld:

6660235339_aa9e392b1d.jpg

It's fractured along a weld where the centre section has been installed. Why a join was even needed there, I don't really know. You can see how the steel was beveled before the two pieces were soldered welded together.

Let's see how good there new 2 year manufacturing and materials warranty is!

Kev

And perhaps punctuation too? ;-)

Eh? Punctuation looks alright to me - the use of the apostrophe is correct is ('today' is possesive of the fail in that constuct) and the ellipsis is there to show a continuation has been omitted.

Kev

I had one of those too. didnt know it was a britpart one.

DSCN2239.jpg

Welded it back together with some re-inforceing, also re welded the mounts as they didnt look too hot to me...

Will.

Yours may well not have been, the same basic patters is available from lots of people, I think. Yours has recovery points too - scary!

Kev

Yours may well not have been, the same basic patters is available from lots of people, I think. Yours has recovery points too - scary!

Kev

Very scary indeed. I shall add that the Scorpion Racing one that I picked up (Not at the full price of nearly £400 I hasten to add) doesnt have this join in the middle to my knowledge and has taken some nice tree scalps on the outer sides (even filling itself with the edge of an old of a tree stump) with no problems. The recovery point on that is also bolted through the bumper and onto the rear cross member so is supported by both the bumper and the chassis.

Regards

Ryck

Something didn't look right to me, but you are quite correct. Apologies.

No prob. You'll notice a spelling error in every other post on this thread - But I'm blaming the iPad for that, so I wasn't surprised if there was one, though I do try to make spelling and grammar done proper on public fora.

A lot of people are rude about Scorpion / Scrapiron, but the stuff of there's I've seen does seem to be put together ok - better than this anyway.

Just as worryingly, I was actually using the provided hi-lift jacking points only yesterday too! My NATO hitch is bolted through to the rear cross member with a wraparound bracket - I certainly wouldn't attempt recovery through those two holes in the end of the chassis that normally hold the bumper. I think I'll beef them up before putting a new bumper on - good opportunity for me to play with my new welder, I'll tack a few plated in place.

Kev

Geesh, my typing is awful on this thread. Maybe it's the iPad, maybe the glass of Chateauneuf du Pape I've been given ( one of the glasses) . I'll certainly re-enforce the two bumper holes, but where was it that Discoparts were suggesting adding the 6mm material? I have a good supply of 6mm steel, so adding metal here and there is always possible.

Nige: tempting offer. I'll see what the 4x4 shop from where it came can do, though I suspect there may be a technicality that gets in the way... If I end up keeping it I may take you up on that offer though, it does look like an easy repair, there's very little that is bent, it had literally popped off, and the weld really does look like soldering.

The quality of the powder coating is really good though, and the rectangular holes for the lights were almost the right size when I got it.

Kev

I agree totally, I did buy the cheapest one out there. But equally, if you go to a professional welder, and ask him to stick to pieces of metal together for you, does he say "Well, I'll do it for £100 for you, or for £50 I could do it really badly. Which would you like?"

I've learned to to use blue box stuff for nearly anything, but I did think on this occasion it was worth a punt, after all, it's just a long bit of bent metal isn't it? Dimensions not too critical, it does seal anything, what could go wrong? I didn't expect that.

Kev

You know when I keep reading about britpart on here- I do keep asking myself why do people still buy any of they're stuff from them when we all know how cack it really is, You only get what you pay for, and lets face it there's a lot better stuff out there,ok you may have to save a while to buy it but thats life, surely It's better to get decent equipment for off roading than keep having to pay out again and again?

Here's a close up of that weld:

6660235339_aa9e392b1d.jpg

It's fractured along a weld where the centre section has been installed. Why a join was even needed there, I don't really know. You can see how the steel was beveled before the two pieces were soldered welded together.

Let's see how good there new 2 year manufacturing and materials warranty is!

Kev

Took me a while to see it but they did actually attempt to weld from both sides on that join and they bevelled it as well. So the prep work looked ok, if only someone had bothered to turn the current up a bit so there was some penetration, it looks like they thought they were welding a body panel! Maybe they were trying to save some electricity :P

I wonder where these are made? This makes an interesting read about one of the nations supplying so much stuff today http://www.amazon.co...n/dp/0470405589 and also shows how hard it is to keep the quality consistant when the suppliers are constantly trying to cut corners

Off topic but that does explain why when typing I get a lot of auto correction pop ups on this bloody thingy, I think a monkey could weld better than the Brit part ****, I try to avoid it as much as possibly unless I really need to, saying that the Brit part cv's lasted a day offloading which I didn't expect of them lol.

Two small bolts for rear recovery? Are you referring to the two M12 in double shear, which go through the rear cross member, which carry the bracket which the NATO hitch bolts to? Not what I'd call small, more what I'd call fine for landrover recovery. Or are you referring to the two M10 bolts which locate the bumper with the original bumper mounting points - there are no recovery points on the bumper I've shown, so these bolts only serve to locate the bumper and keep it horizontal, and to stop the bumper snapping in the middle if you catch a tree when driving past it.

Kev

Hi

No MrKev not your bumper. Fourth post in, the bumper has two eyes on it.

I always thought std setup good with the two bars to the chassis also. Std does hang down a bit for offroading but the drop plate could be shorthened.

Just a thought what sort of damage would have occured had the bumper not broke?