Today's Britpart fail...

MrKev

I did get some communique back from Britpart. They said they would take it back for inspection, and if they felt that the damage was caused by a manufacturing defect, they would replace it. They also said the replacement would be 'in one piece' (not quite sure what they mean by this - I assume mine wasn't made out of casual scrap, but to drawing, just badly, but you never know, there may have been a design change), I certainly wouldn't expect it to turn up in kit form!

As bushwhacker remarked, it looks like a good starting point, and so I finally opted to take Nigel up on his welding offer, having both substantially more skill and also more welder than I do, he very kindly filled his workshop with a combinayion of noxious fumes, flames and acrid smoke for me and stuck the two parts back together in a way I'm sure will never come apart again. He also kindly attacked the other weld in the same place on the opposite side, and made some techical welding observations at just how badly the job had originally been done. I'm sure he can explain it better, but it goes along the lines of low grade 0.6mm wire and contamination. What i noticed was that there was a distinct change in noise between welding bare metal together and welding over their filler material.

Huge thanks to Nigel for his help, I now think I have a much better bumper that I would have got as a replacement, which would probably have had similar 'pretty looking, but no doubt 'pretty useless' welds. Lick of paint in the morning I think, and it'll better than new.

Kev

It was interesting :)

The metal showed signs where it had been Guilotined cut, a almost nonexistant clean up or weld prep, and then the weld inself.

This was .6 wire, with low amps and hih wire speed, resulting it a "Hump" of weld sitting on the metal rather than penetrating it,

and hence why it snapped.

When Kev brought it over I linished off the weld, cleaned away the powder coating and weld prepped it and cleaned the areas.

Where there was now none of the old weld and bare metal it was clamped, tacked checked and then hit with 200amps :)

Lifting visor saw Cheery red welds, and all was good. the other side meant that with the angles getting a flap wheel / grinder

in was trijy if not impossible to clean all the welds off - but again "Hit" it with the welder .....This is where is became obvious

that not only was the weld poor in terms of standard but also of qulaity.

My guess is the wire speed was as I mentioned too high, and the current too low, AND the gas too low and this gave a poor "Pitted" weld

with impurities - even at 220 amps it was spitting back at times, although it give give in at the end, but the difference in the "Bacon Sizzling"

noise was noticable.

It won't be falling apart now :D

It anno0ys me when people have hard earnjed wages removed fo sub standard work, - let alone the poss danger this could have

unleashed, took me 20 mins maybe to buzz it up and sor Kevs problem out, I've been helped by this forum many times,

so yesteray was just a return to Kev iof a bit of help

No extar plates were added, its more of a bumper than a winch bumper, if he can break the new welds he will have gotten himself

into serious trouble and the bumper will prob be his least worry :rofl:

Nige

I have been following this thread because I was thinking of getting my rear bumper from Britpart.

Sounds like they are willing to honour their warrenty commitments so I'm sure I can buy with confidence should anything go wrong it will be sorted.

@ Hybrid_From_Hell how can you tell if a bumper has been 'Guilotined cut' rather than plasma or laser cut, should there be something I can look out for?

I have been following this thread because I was thinking of getting my rear bumper from Britpart.

Sounds like they are willing to honour their warrenty commitments so I'm sure I can buy with confidence should anything go wrong it will be sorted.

If it's up on the Hi-Lift jack when it does break, make sure there's something nice and soft for your truck to land on.

Kev

@ Hybrid_From_Hell how can you tell if a bumper has been 'Guilotined cut' rather than plasma or laser cut, should there be something I can look out for?

A guillotine will distort the metal as it cuts leaving a raised lip on the back edge and a slightly curved edge on the front, you might not see it once it has been welded and coated. There is nothing wrong with a guillotine cut, I think HFH was just highlighting that there was little if any weld prep performed and the weld hadn't penetrated the metal at all.

Save yourself a world of trouble and spend a bit more on something better from somewhere else, B****art are renowned for inferior quality, If you look elsewhere on this forum and in other places you'll be left in no doubt as to how really bad the products they sell can be

I'm not sure that has been said anywhere here. They said they would have to look at it to ascertain whether it was their poor workmanship that caused the issue - thats a far cry from getting them to admit it and then return your money! In the past (before i knew better) i have had a barrier to returning britpart tat before even getting to britpart - the place that sold me the stuff would doggedly argue that the quality is fine - result is that i dont go there anymore.

As jbs said, save yourself a load of hassle and buy elsewhere in the first place.

Just to clarify: The 'shop' said they'd contacted Britpart and that Britpart would collect the part the next time the Britpart Van round. Britpart would then inspect, and so on. If deemed faulty manufacture, they would then ship a new 'one piece' bumper back. The 'shop' wasn't even technically the same shop I bought it from, so it was very kind of them to ask for me.

I took the decision that the replacement part would most likely be made to the same drawing as the the part I had, and as such I was better off having it welded up properly, as oppose to having something which may well be welded badly. I figured I could trust the welding skills Nigel offered to demonstrate, and that I would end up with a decent part at the end of it.

I wouldn't be able to tell if the replacement was a genuine single piece of metal versus welded and ground flat, or even if welds were visible, detect the quality of the welds after the powder coating layer had been anyway. I note that the Britpart descriptions for most of their bumpers are 'one piece'.

When new, the bumper was shiny, and close enough to being the right size that I was happy with it. It was more durable than the stock discovery bumper, but clearly less durable than tree bark.

To be absolutely clear on this point too: I wouldn't recommend buying this part ( http://www.britpart....cessoryRef=2662 ) to anyone.

Kev

Edited by MrKev

• 3 years later...