Fitting a VNT to a td5

Ridgeback

I have been looking into vnt turbo's for a td5 and found a number of old posts with some details of people looking into fitting one from a td6 or merc ML. I have now found that lots of cars use the gt2256 turbo including the BMW td6, 530d, 330d, merc ML 2.7 .....

They all have the same gt2256 part number but a different OEM number. Does anyone know if they are all the same. If not what's the best one to go for. I know I will need to build some manifold bits etc to make it bolt on. 

I don't have the money to go spending £1200+ on one of the bolt on vnt's available from the main Land Rover tuners, plus I enjoy the work doing it myself.  

What results/problems have the people that have done this mod using the gt2256 had. 

I already have a large IC, no EGR, powerflow exhaust etc and know It will need to be mapped up once fitted.

I am told that a tuned td5 that was entered into the fasted Land Rover competition run by one of the Land Rover mags last year had a claimed 257bhp and was based on this conversion. (can't find any details on it, but it did win the standing quarter mile)

Once I have done this I will try taking pics and drawings of the process if it works without going bang but it's always good to find out what problems anyone else has found before I start.

£1200+? only if you buy at TD5 alive :ph34r: :ph34r:

Bell Auto services are £795+v inc a boost box

(info here ) http://bellautoservi...-vnt-vgt-turbo/

i have one from pete & it took just over an hour to fit, no messing about job done & its brilliant, really happy with the performance of my td5 (even if its gonna get some moaaaaaar)

quick video here (trialling a challenge truck)

th_20120102150258.jpg

Thanks for the info and link, I have a boost box but at 745+vat+ p&p for the turbo only, it's still going to be over £900.

I fitted the same turbo to my 530d last year for under £500 and have now seen them available for under £400.

It's not just about the cost, part of it is the fun of playing around making something myself that works.

I know the GT2256 has been used on a td5 but I don't know what differences all the part numbers mean or what version of this turbo is the best fit to start off with.

• 4 years later...