Car seems under powered

Mark Adams

Hi,

I have just purchased a freelander 1998 1.8 for a runaround while I do some repairs to my Disco, It has had a full service just before I purchased it inc timing belt change, oil, filters, plugs etc.

I struggled to even get the car home as it was loosing power going up hills, I suspected the head gasket had gone as I understand it is common on these so did a compression test and found compression to be fairly even between 10.5 - 11.5 Bar on all cylinders.

I then found that the wrong plugs had been fitted so changed these for the upraded versions and it is better but still seems under powered. It is right that you need to rev it above 3K rpm to be doing 70 on the flat? It will go up hills but will not accelerate up even slight inclines.

I had thought about maybe checking the timing and checking the condition of the rotor and cap but just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Mark.

My wife has a 2002 1.8 Freelander 3 door as a runaround, fun car with the kids and the roof off and the odd commute into London, and I have to tell you, that sounds like the typical performance to me. She has to run at 3500rpm on the motorway to crack 70mph. We like it as a fun and capable runaround - it cost us £2250 with 50k on the clock in silver and great condition, but I couldn't run it as our main car purely because it is so underpowered. Hills are definitely not its natural habitat if you like to go up them quickly! It's firmly a second car for us for that very reason. I have driven a fair few 1.8s that were all the same, so I'm afraid it might be that there is nothing unusual wrong with yours... Sorry.

ST

(Although that said it should obviously not struggle to get up hills, ours feels strong but steady - what I meant is that it could be that the things you have done have brought the car up to 'normal' and that the limited hill acceleration/needing over 3000rpm to hit 70 you describe is as good as it is going to get)

That doesn't sound right. They're not the quickest, but they shouldn't struggle.

Check the rotor arm, cap and HT leads. Check that the air filter has actually been changed. Could be a clogged fuel filter if that hasn't been changed.

The other thing that might be worth a look is timing belt timing as that was changed. I don't know if the K series will run if it's a tooth out, but it may be worth checking that all the marks line up.

Hope this helps,

Rob

The only thing I can add is maybe the exhaust cat-con is partially plugged. Assuming one is fitted, its core could be breaking up from old age or excess fueling from a misfire could have melted it. This often gets overlooked on otherwise sound engines.

Do you know how I would test to see if the cat is faulty?

Mark.

The best way is a "test pipe" that replaces the cat-con but I haven't seen these lately as they are illegal for road use. Some shops install a back pressure gauge at the O2 sensor fitting upstream on the exhaust. Another very old school trick is get an intake manifold vacuum gauge with diagnostic instructions. I think this is for experienced engineers as the interpretation of readings is subtle. Comparison to a similar vehicle for hill climbing ability is least invasive. A rule of thumb where I live is any cat-con with over 120k miles has lost efficiency and worth considering replacing just for the environment. Less expensive low restriction racing cat-cons are my choice if road legal for your location. I don't feel guilty for recommending them because their slightly higher HC is offset by actually lower CO2 output!

Given that the question is "has the cat collapsed & blocked the pipe?" the way to find out is undo the 6 bolts holding it in place, remove it and look inside it. Should be able to see right through it, through the honeycomb structure inside. If it's broken up or blocked, it'll be quite obvious.

Given that the question is "has the cat collapsed & blocked the pipe?" the way to find out is undo the 6 bolts holding it in place, remove it and look inside it. Should be able to see right through it, through the honeycomb structure inside. If it's broken up or blocked, it'll be quite obvious.

Ahh, and if no light comes through get out the long drill bit - I didn't write that, LOL. Seriously if you take the cat off and the neighbors don't mind consider going for a drive with earplugs. You won't set any codes on a '98 OBD. The older pellet type internal bed design has right angle flow and support baffles that make visual diagnosis problematical except when platinum starts falling out.

As well as the cat, consider a partially-collapsed silencer box: I've dealt with a couple of cars (of the '10 years old low mileage one careful owner' variety) where lots of short journeys had filled the silencer-box with water and the baffles had rusted/shifted internally to the point where virtually no exhaust-gases could get out !

--Tanuki

• 2 weeks later...

I have now changed the plugs for up rated NGK plugs, replaced the rotor arm and cap (which w as slightly burnt out). I have just received my Sykes 4 gas portable gas analyser back from having a new battery installed so I thought I would test the emmisions.

I was surprised to find them extremely high, CO was about 4.5, HC about 300 - 400, so it seems to still have poor ignition, I have noticed a very slight misfire on idle.

I am going to change all the HT leads next as the Lucas ones that are fitting look old. I was going to use new Lucas leads but happy if someone can recommend a better quality.

Anything else people think might be worth checking?

Mark.

I have now changed the plugs for up rated NGK plugs, replaced the rotor arm and cap (which w as slightly burnt out). I have just received my Sykes 4 gas portable gas analyser back from having a new battery installed so I thought I would test the emmisions.

I was surprised to find them extremely high, CO was about 4.5, HC about 300 - 400, so it seems to still have poor ignition, I have noticed a very slight misfire on idle.

I am going to change all the HT leads next as the Lucas ones that are fitting look old. I was going to use new Lucas leads but happy if someone can recommend a better quality.

Anything else people think might be worth checking?

Mark.

Those 'running rich' emissions figures would make me suspect the coolant temp sensor might have failed and the ECU is overfuelling on the assumption that the engine is still cold.

As far as HT leads are concerned, I always used to recommend NGK but these days they're hard to come by. Magnecor are the new NGK.

--Tanuki

Hello all, I am new at this Forum, I have a 2003 Freelander as well, and I am also having under power issues. As I have been spending time observing this problem, I think I found that when I drive it when it is still cold it begins to shake like if the spark plugs are not getting the spark they need.

And then I get a service engine soon light. that stays on for a day or two. When I let the Freelander warm up then it runs great. No lights or hesitation. (!) Is it possible that due to humidity the spark plug cables tend to have leaks and do not deliver enough spark? I had one of the spark plug cables replaced before and the hesitation stopped for a while, but now comes back when it is cold, It feels like an electrical problem. Any thoughts? I love the car, but it is temperamental.. :)

I had problems with the HT leads arcing, making sure they're correctly fitted and correctly spaced will make a difference, as will fitting good quality (genuine) leads, rotor, and cap, and ensuring nothing is rubbing on metal parts (this isn't always easy with this engine).

Are you mistaking the "check engine" light (as in "I've got a problem") with the "service interval" light (which I didn't know they had)? The "check engine" light means the ECU has logged a fault, which may well give you a good clue as to your problem.

Hi,

Just an update to the original problem.

Well still a lack of power, and as mentioned also high CO and HC. I have now checked the Oxygen sensor with my scope and found that it is giving a constant reading of approx .750 mv (RICH), the reading does not cycle at all. I opened the throttle a few times and the reading dropped very breifly to just below 0 and then immediatly settled back to .750 again.

This implies to me that the sensor is working OK but something else is causing a rich condition. any ideas what may be causing it?

I have changed the plugs, cap and rotor but not the leads yet. Any suggestions for further tests. I have visually checked all vacuum pipes and they look OK and secure.

Mark.