Rotten Rear Boot Floor....

Fatboy

Morning!

My Rangie failed its MOT last week on a number of issues - perforated fuel pipes being one :blink:

I therefore had to open the little hatch to get to the fuel pump so I could replace the corroded lines. Now, up to this point, I thought my wagon was in fairly good nick (1993 LSE) - Chassis fine, front wings sound, sills replaced etc. :)

When I lifted the carpet in the boot, I was horrified to see daylight through the floor - for a good area in front of the edge of the boot. It also looks like it goes beyond that although the arches seem okay from the wheel side.

I couldn't pull the whole carpet out because of the LPG tank but would like the car MOT'd ASAP.

So the question is: When the back is this bad, what is the usual extent of the corrosion and how much work is there in replacing the metalwork? I remember Fisha talking about chequer plate but can also recall stories of needing to replace goal posts etc... :ph34r:

Any thoughts?

:( Oh Dear

Sorry to hear that Donald. I thought the rotten boot floor was a Disco thing! Stealing their thunder....

Can't help with the problem, but if you need an assistant for when you get a solution I'm more than happy to help?

Not just a disco thing - very common in Rangies too. Mine's got rather a lot of gaffer tape filling the holes at the moment...

The rangie floor isn't made anymore, so the usual solution is to fit a sheet of corrugated alloy in its place. I think these may have been/are available as kits specially for the job (I got mine - not fitted yet - from a scrap yard) but it's just a simple rectangle so you could make your own very easily.

As to how far the rot goes...you're just going to have to start digging and hope you reach solid metal before you get to anything important :( If I were you I'd touch it as little as possible (resist the urge to stick screwdrivers in things you don't have to touch...) and put it all back together for the MOT, then worry about sorting the floor afterwards.

mmmm... considering I go to this specific garage because he is very methodical (but fair) for the MOT, I'm surprised he didn't mention it. Maybe its saved up for the retest. :blink: Mind you, it is well away from seat belt mounts and body securing points.. (Do I sound like I'm clutching at straws? - Hmm, thought so :( )

mmmm... considering I go to this specific garage because he is very methodical (but fair) for the MOT, I'm surprised he didn't mention it. Maybe its saved up for the retest. :blink: Mind you, it is well away from seat belt mounts and body securing points.. (Do I sound like I'm clutching at straws? - Hmm, thought so :( )

There's a thread on here somewhere started by me on the subject of whether my boot floor was an MOT failure. Basically it's not structural so it doesn't matter - you should be okay :)

It would be classed as structural around the seat belt points as they are on that floor panel.

If they spot it...

Bearing in mind the object here is to get it through the MOT, not to make the truck road worthy - which Fatboy can sort out afterwards at his leisure.

Good points... the floor is fine within the vicinity of the seatbelts so it should be fine. Its only really rotten towards the back but once its MOT'd I'll strip it out and consider chequer plate.. I'll see how it goes. :)

• 2 months later...
It would be classed as structural around the seat belt points as they are on that floor panel.

On my RRC, the floor mounts for the rear seatbelts are bolted through the floor panel to the chassis via a couple of little rubber couplings,. Therefor IMHO the (corrugated) rear floor panel would not be structural ?

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Know I'm late on this one but yes the seat belts merely go through the floor, it's not involved in holding them in.

And anyone looking for a replacement boot floor; a decent cordless drill with a good charge and a 6 to 8mm steel bit will have a boot floor out in 20mins. Bar taking the rear belt mounts out (can't remember what size they are - but guessing 17mm) the floor is held in by a bunch of pop rivets...