74660213 - Lucas Girling Master Cylinder

minivin

Ok, I'm going to kill someone very soon, I go to fit the pipes expecting them to be 3/8" UNF at the rear and 7/16" UNF at the front, only for the rear one to strip the threads :angry: I then check the front one and find theat is a loose fit as well <wiggle, wiggle that'll strip pi$$ easy>.

Any ideas? have I got something metric, NPT, BSP et cetera??? I'm effed off now as that's £65 of master cylinder shafted unless I go buy a 3/8" UNF helicoil kit to repair the damaged portion :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

Apologies if you know this already........

If the resevoir is held on with two screws entering from below next to the rear port you have an imperial master cylinder, 7/16 and 3/8 UNF unions.

If the resevoir is held in place with two roll pins going in sideways you have a metric cylinder, M10 and M12

..........unless anyone knows different :(

arse, arse and double arse! I did some quick mathematics in my head earlier based around 3/8" into metric equivalent and started thinking "oh pooh, it aint is it?". Looks like it is then <_<

Guess that'll be another order your way!!!!! :)

is the M10 1.0 or 1.25 pitch? just that I have a 1.25 helicoil kit, so if I need 1.0 I can always order the tap and coils and thats all.

Well, after a quick phone call to my favourite Uni-Thread at mid day on saturday I asked for a helicoil bunch and a tap for the ill-fated M10x1.00, they said "yes sir, it'll be with you on Monday", tongue in cheek I thought different, but horray for Uni-Thread here they were at lunchtime!

DSCF1435.jpg

I dug a 10mm drill out that was brand new and put some grease on it to pick up the shards of master cylinder, with the variable speed drill set to lowest I slowly cut the damaged threads out and cleaned the bits of metal out, with the new tap once again I put some grease on to pick up the shards and slowly put my MoD Apprenticeship skills to task and slowly cut in the holder thread.

The casting is very "bitty" in that it is very crystalling in content, needless to say it put me on tender hooks as I didn't want to take the tap to the end and strip the new threads out by a lack of concentration.

However, when I felt it showing signs of no more, out she came and with a feeding tool from another M10 kit I got in it went and all is fixed :D

DSCF1434.jpg

ok, what else can I rubbish now.......

:rolleyes:

ok, what else can I rubbish now...

You're rebuilding a Land Rover, the possibilities are endless :D

If it's not a stupid question - are helicoils brake-fluid tight?

Helicoils don't need to be fluid tight it's the flare at the end of the pipe/recess which is the sealing face :D just make sure the pipe connections are seated correctly :D

ok, what else can I rubbish now...

You're rebuilding a Land Rover, the possibilities are endless :D

If it's not a stupid question - are helicoils brake-fluid tight?

aiy, and with the V8 and LT77 plans coming to fruition (well, once a few miles has been put on it to bed it down with the 2.5NAD), the time is nearing :D