Disco 300 tdi Aircond fans

Peterla

I have a great 300 tdi that is working very well.

The air conditioning is much better than my 200 tdi was.

The only issue that I have is the electric fans do not start.

As i do most of my driving on open roads this is not an issue.

I do though have a concern when i do get in traffic my air conditioner head pressure will rise dramatically.

I have looked for the basics but cannot find a fuse for them and not sure which relay operated them.

Not sure if there is a refogerant pressure seneor that cycles the fan or if they run with the compressor.

My guess is they should start with the compressor.

Does anyone know what turns these fans on from the air conditioner or have a Wiring diagram for a 300 tdi

air conditioner system.

Any help appreciated

Peter

Because they really don’t get used all that often and sat at the front of the radiator getting covered in all the carp they can seize up or stick.. have you tried to spin them? They may just need a kick to free them up and a spot of oil to keep them that way.

My A/C fans come on whenever I turn the A/C on, however cold the external air temps. They also come on, as Bowie69 mentions, when the engine temps get high. This is on a '95 300tdi, but I can't vouch for it not having been modified, before I bought it.

All very true but it’s still well worth checking that they actually turn.

I have never had any problem with my P38 air-con or otherwise.

But when I took the grill off to clean in around the radiator I noticed that one was stuck.. needed a kick to turn freely

I check them every now and again just to make sure now.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the comments.

Found my issue with my fans

Both were open curcuit( Very strange)

Then checked thermo swith in thermostat cover and found it was stuck on.

This caused the fans to come on with the ignition switch.

I suspect the previus owner did not fix this and the fans ran way to much until they blew up.

Have fitted new fans and switch and all working great now.

Peter

Peter,my 300 TDI is also suffering from dead condenser fans.Which of the thermo switches operates the fan?Mine has two on the thermostat housing, I believe part numbers PRC3505 and PRC3359.

My intention was to just renew the fan motors obtained from http://ishop2.cooldrive.com.au/search?q=EM2321&submit.x=16&submit.y=19 but they only deal through the trade,so hopefully can order through a local air con shop.

Where did you obtain your fans and what part number did you use?

As a last resort I was thinking of using a couple of Denso PM9115 fans off a mid 90's Corolla,as a quick fix whilst the hot weather is here.