td5 starter just clicks

Also check the mains lead to the starter and the earth lead from the engine to the chassis and battery to chassis.

If any of the leads are dodgy or corroded it is possible for enough power to get through to click the solinoid but not enough to spin the starter.

A quick check is to connect a jump lead from the earth of the battery to the body of starter and then try again if it all now starts then it is the earth straps, if not then as you suggest it is probable the solinoid or the starter motor itself. Not difficult to bench test the starter once it is out before trying to rebuild.

I had the sme problem a few weeks ago at woodall Services on the M1. Called the RAC who said my battery was knackered, so he got me started and I made my way home. Next day a trip to euro car parts and £100 later a new battery was fitted. All appeared well until the next day and again failed to start.

Another call to the RAC who checked the battery,fuses etc. He then crawled under the landy and found the fault. The earth to the chassis was loose. Once cleaned and tightened all was well except for the £100 wasted on a new battery which was fine.

So just check the basics.

Hope it get sorted

SHOTROCK....

Check all earths related to it, as mentioned.

Don't know if the TD5 is similar to the 200tdi, but if it is, check that the cable from the ignition barrel has a good connection onto the starter solenoid. Mine used to have a habit of falling off.