Tyre reccomendations

Dezzie

Hi everyone.

I've tried using the SEARCH button, but it's not really helping me with my question.

I need to change the rear tyres on my V plate Yr 2000 Series 1 Freelander diesel. I'd really like them to be 50 / 50 between on road and off. Like an All Terrain tyre I guess, which is what is fitted at the moment. Don't use the car for off road, but need it for bad weather.

I haven't got a massive amount to spend, and was looking at no more that £50 a piece. At the moment I've got budget tyres on. I think they're MAXXIS RADIAL 751 195 / 80 15. (fitted by the previous owner)

Anyone tried Pirelli Scorpion ? Or Wranglers ?

Any reccomendations (and rough ideas of prices) would be very much appreciated.

Cheers ........................ Matt.

Hi,

Less than £50 each sounds ambitious. When I was looking I couldn't find anything under £70, but then I didn't check Camskill (Thanks Brian, I'll have to remember that).

I drove last years snow on BF Goodrich Macadam T/A and I couldn't fault them. They also worked reasonably well off road.

I now have Genral Grabber ATs fitted.

I think that Pirelli Scorpion and/or Goodyear Wranglers were original fit?

Rob.

You'll be lucky to find anything at £50 a corner, especially AT.

Camskill are cheap but you then have to get someone to do fitting & balancing & disposal, when I added it up my local tyre place were maybe £5 more in total on a set of four of anything, minus the hassle of waiting for couriers etc.

Quite a few part-worns on eBay usually, I got an excellent set from Chandos at http://4lrspares.com/ who comes highly recommended.

Would think that all but the mildest AT tyres are far to extreme for 99% road use, even if you are thinking about snow and ice.

If you are buying a pair, it is worth checking that the pair with the largest diameter are on the rear - check this even if the tyre sizes are supposedly the same.

Cheers

Blippie

• 2 weeks later...