Rythmic knocking from the rear area

Well after taking all the wheels of the 110 defender and finding bugger all wrong i have been over the whole drive train. I may be completely wrong and will happily be pointed in the right direction but i suspect the noise is coming from a worn universal joint on the rear prop shaft. Anyone got any advice on whether i should replace with an original Landrover original or someone elses?

Just to be sure the prop is causing the problem you could take it off, engage diff lock and take it for a drive.

I did this recently and it seems that I do indeed have a front prop problem. I intend to buy a new OEM prop.

Land Rover don't make u/ j's.... Hardy Spicer do and used to supply Land Rover.

Are you sure it's an U/ j ?

Have you checked that the handbrake drum is completly free when the handbrake is off ?

Take your prop off. Then check the u/ j's The prop being off means there's nothing holding a sloppy u/ j in place.

It may also be worth checking your bushes, A-frame ball joint and axle internals for wear.

It is quite easy to change a prop UJ, off the top of my head you need a hammer, circlip pliers, grease, a couple of sockets to use as drifts and a punch or 2. A vice makes things a lot easier too.

Last time I did one, the UJ cost me about £15, a lot cheaper than a new prop.

Harry

Thanks all, ive checked the a frame and the bushes look ok, the exhaust fixings are solid and there is no areas of knock on the frame or floor area.

Will give George at Durham 4x4 a buzz and order the uj's and will keep you posted.

Cheers for the help again