50A -- FRC9865 ------- now corrected :rolleyes:

56A as above

60A -- FRC6154

61A as above

V8/R380

FTC3922

300Tdi/R380

FTC3921

200Tdi/R380 use FTC4018 a 'stumpy' 11cm overall length bellhousing, apparently not the 14cm LT77 variant that I originally thought.

all the above are for Defender

these for Discovery upto chassis number LA081991

V8/LT77S---------------- FRC6154

200Tdi/LT77S ----------- FTC1270

300Tdi/R380 ------------ FTC3921

V8 carb./R380 ---------- FTC3922 --- superseded by UNB100190

V8 efi/R380 ------------- FTC3922 --- as above.

these for Range Rover from chassis number starting CA to HA610293

VM diesl/LT77 ----- FRC8570

V8/LT77 ------------ FTC6154

these for Range Rover from chassis number JA610294

200Tdi/LT77 -------- FTC1270

V8/LT77 ------------- FTC6154

VM diesel/LT77 ----- FTC8570

300Tdi/R380 -------- FTC3921

V8/R380 ------------ FTC3922 ---- note supersession as per Discovery list above.

:i-m_so_happy:

Edited by western
amended.

Well my R380 bolted straight to mine [200Tdi with FTC4018 ] OK & a LR main dealer did the orignal R380 fit, they didn't have any problem,IIRC the R380 to V8 has a different mainshaft,

where's Dave Ashcroft when you need him :ph34r::unsure:

Edited by western

Well my R380 bolted straight to mine [200Tdi with FRC9865] OK & a LR main dealer did the orignal R380 fit, they didn't have any problem,IIRC the R380 to V8 has a different mainshaft,

where's Dave Ashcroft when you need him :ph34r::unsure:

Well yes erm... Mr Ashcoft told be i'd need a new bellhousing, i was just seeking a second opinoin as it seemed strange as i thought the r380 was the same fitting pattern as the LT77

I'm not actually any wiser at the mo. Anyone know for certain?

YES I have experienced this...

The R380 is slightly longer (~25mm) than the LT77, so with the V8 for reasons unknown they made the bellhousing ~25mm shorter. You can physically bolt one to the other, but the input shaft will end up 25mm too long or too short :( and that's a major PITFA.

I ended up buying a bellhousing from Mr Ashcroft as it was just easier and quicker than trying to find a correct one elsewhere - seems most of the LR "experts" don't realise the difference either and several tried to sell me LT77 versions :angry:

Oh and in case this should end up in the tech archive - the tail housings that contain the gearshift are completely different internally between Defender and Disco/RR so you can't swap the shift mechanism over - ask me (and Marco Cosic) how we know <_<

Oh, just found a nice piccy of my R380 - this is the correct bellhousing and a Defender shift mechanism (comes forward from the tail housing):

Img_0029.jpg

This is the RR/Disco shifter tail housing (viewed from above looking in):

RR_Back.jpg

This is the Defender tail housing (viewed from above looking in):

Def_Back.jpg

• 1 month later...

anyone know if a rangerover 3.5 v8 4speed auto box would bolt onto a disco 200tdi engine if it doesnt can i just swap the bellhousings over and would the output shaft be the same length and diameter

cheers

EPC tells me the RRC 4 speed auto torque convertor housing is RTC6594 on V8 vehicles which is the same on Discovery 1 4 speed auto & V8 vehicles, but the housing on a 200Tdi Discovery 1 auto is STC1581, the parts drawing doesn't give enough picture detail to determine the differences, probably have to have one of each housing side by side to tell, hope that helps.

i'm slightly confused still

clarified on a v8 the parts are not interchangeable.

but for 4 pot...

FRC9865 fits on end of lt77 and also fits on the end of r380. does this overcome the 25mm length problem in this application regarding the input shaft?

also, regarding this stumpy bellhousing, surely the input shaft would be way too long, given the difference in bellhousing length between r380 and 4 pot lt77, were you to attach frc9865 to an r380.

am i getting horribly mixed up?

i'm slightly confused still

clarified on a v8 the parts are not interchangeable.

but for 4 pot...

FRC9865 fits on end of lt77 and also fits on the end of r380. does this overcome the 25mm length problem in this application regarding the input shaft?

also, regarding this stumpy bellhousing, surely the input shaft would be way too long, given the difference in bellhousing length between r380 and 4 pot lt77, were you to attach frc9865 to an r380.

am i getting horribly mixed up?

Some R380 have a short mainshaft for different applications, like my own R380 which has the 'stumpy' bell housing & bolted to my Defender spec 200Tdi.

the 300Tdi engines sit further forward in the engine bay & have a longer mainshaft & longer bell housing.

Edited by western

Some R380 have a short mainshaft for different applications, like my own R380 which has the 'stumpy' bell housing & bolted to my Defender spec 200Tdi.

the 300Tdi engines sit further forward in the engine bay & have a longer mainshaft & longer bell housing.

ahh i see, two different r380's then, normal and short, the latter i presume being somewhat rare.

Edited by western

• 1 year later...
anyone knows if an sd1 V8 lt77 can be adapted to fit in landrover 90? would the engine foul the bulkhead or no?

Luwts

I asked this question a couple of years ago - apparently you cannot mate the box to the LT230 in any way.

• 10 months later...