Series 3 dash options

pitbull63

Just picked up my new Series 3 SWB project on Saturday and I,m going to be needing to rebuild the dash area completely (with the exception of the top rail) as the previous owner has ripped the bottom rail/shelf out and removed the instrument binnacle in favour of a series 2a unit!(centre mounted)

There is no cowl around the steering column either and the wiring that would normally sit behind the clocks is hidden by a canvas bag.Its going to be a busy day or so sorting out what wire does what and goes where as none of the original switches have been used at all.(I,ll try and post pictures tomorrow when its light again)

So..................whats the best options for moving forward with things?Try and go back to how it should be or go custom?

Looking at that I'd be looking closely at buying a complete new loom from Autosparks or similar (or re-doing it yourself if you're happy to) - a little spendy but I wouldn't like to trust that mess, and sometimes it's faster to rip it out & start again than fix someone else's bodge.

Green bible shows all the wiring, including a full layout of behind the instruments.

Going to completely do it from scratch myself (built a few chop looms) .Real rats nest isn,t it ?

Sad to say I quite enjoy wiring and thank goodness its not too complicated a loom to do if I divide it into sections for the rewire( indicators,then lighting etc etc)

Got the indicators working today with what wires were there but I can see that a lot of wires are just twisted together and taped up.

Going to get stuck in properly after next week(end of the shooting season) and do the lot back to front.VWP here I come!

Hopefully we,ll be moving to a new place in the very near future where I don,t have to be messing about with things at the side of a main road.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone recommend any good sources for a SIII top dash pad? I was looking to have mine restored but would love to get my hands on a used one if it was in good shape. Are there not a lot of people in the UK/EU wanting to restore SIII vehicles? I'm surprised that this part has been out of production for this long.

Thanks!

Series IIIs are getting more popular as 'classics' now, but the fact that only very early ones (line mine :P) are exempt from our UK road tax may well push people to earlier Land Rovers instead. Still, there are plenty of Series IIIs about!

Top dash pads are a weak point as I'm sure you know, you'll be very lucky to find one without cracked vinyl. I managed to dig one up at Newbury with only one small crack in the top by one of the large screw holes...the original from the vehicle had barely any vinyl left on it! Even harder to find in the US, but I'd start with trying to find a breaker with some Series Land Rovers and go from there!

Be aware there are two types. Earlier and later, they differ by the vent widths and the resultant screw spacing. I think.

Can anyone recommend any good sources for a SIII top dash pad? I was looking to have mine restored but would love to get my hands on a used one if it was in good shape. Are there not a lot of people in the UK/EU wanting to restore SIII vehicles? I'm surprised that this part has been out of production for this long.

Thanks!

If it's just the vinyl top cracked you might be able to peel the remains off and completely recover it with some leatherette cloth. You can buy material that has a very similar grained pattern in it.

If any of the foam inner is missing, how about building it up with expanding foam (that's what the inner looks like anyway) and carve it back to the required shape? That stuff sticks like nasty stuff to most things

mine was perfect, untill i accidentally cracked the vinyl during my rebuilt. very annoyed. and be careful. theres 2 very slightly different shapes of dash top, one being the earlier one which can be identified by larger vent holes in the top. this is because the earlier dash models didnt have any holes in the steel dash back plate that sits on an angle. this means that the vent flaps are directed through larger vents in the top.

i dont like the look of the earlier ones as they dont have as much of a pronounced angle on the front edge.

but if you can get hold of some vinyl and contact adhesive, i would have a go at covering it. just be careful not to make any creases.