Yes, another R380 in an 88 thread

TheRecklessEngineer

how much extra do you really need at the front end? i had an idea while i was fitting my tdi that if i need extra space at the front then i could move the series front end forward a small amount, about an inch or two, and extend the rear end of the bonnet to fill in the gap.

i didnt need to do it in the end, but i think if it was done well enough it would be hardly noticeable except to the rivet counters

how much extra do you really need at the front end? i had an idea while i was fitting my tdi that if i need extra space at the front then i could move the series front end forward a small amount, about an inch or two, and extend the rear end of the bonnet to fill in the gap.

i didnt need to do it in the end, but i think if it was done well enough it would be hardly noticeable except to the rivet counters

This is exactly what I did to fit my intercooler between the steeringbox an the grillepanel, I moved the panel forward 20mm, and extended the bonnet at the back. Noone has noticed, unless I pointed it out. This is on a LHD vehicle with defender type pas box, on a RHD this would not have been neccesarry.

Daan

• 3 months later...

Just thought I'd finish this up:

Passed the MOT today, so back on the road.

So - Yes, you can fit an R380 in a series. However, you need a shorter rear prop and a longer front prop. I shortened two standard landy props to make two the correct length. The rear is a standard series rear prop (shortened). The front is a 300Tdi 100 rear prop - also shortened.

The exhaust is made up from a standard 300TDi 90 exhaust - the front end was quite easy. Just a chuck cut out and re-welded to clear the engine crossmember. The rear section was a little harder and needed some of the bends cutting and twisting to go in a different direction.

The oil cooler pipework wouldn't fit at all. Not even close, and given that LR used non-standard hydraulic fittings for it I was unable to make new pipework. Couldn't even modify the existing pipework. Short of machining new fittings etc, I just stuffed a mocal oil cooler on the front end + some standard hydraulic hoses. Job done.

Everything else lined up with a little tweaking.

I can't say how the standard transmission tunnel would fit around it as mine was already modified for the V8. Certainly the defender transmission tunnel can be modded to fit without too much hassle.

I know I've got the standard Defender grill - I hope to change that as soon as I can source a stage 1 grill.

Right: Pictures...

20120524_174909.jpg

20120524_174920.jpg

20120524_174951.jpg

20120524_175010.jpg

20120524_175019.jpg

20120524_175041.jpg

20120524_175326.jpg

It's a bit tight with the PAS box:

20120524_175335.jpg

And finally, a gratuitous shot of the td5 dash.

20120524_175359.jpg