Using a BTR4717 (Denso) aircon compressor for on-board air?

elbekko

Rich, this topic is what I based my setup on.

As you may have read, more people have used the Sanden pump, as that is what is found on older V8s and 200Tdis with multiple vee belt front ends.

The later V8s and 300 Tdis are fitted with the Denso pump. They are not the same in construction so don't lend themselves to the same way of filling with grease that many have adopted with the Sanden.

• 3 years later...

Holy thread revival, batman!

So I never got around to doing this on the Classic. But now I'm looking into doing it on the P38, which happens to have the same compressor (and caused me to find my own thread :P).

The plan for the P38 is to connect it to the EAS system instead of the electric compressor. Should be fairly simple to hook up.

I'll also be installing a quick connect for airing up tyres, probably on the line from the valve block to the tank. This should allow the system to regulate pressure and turn the compressor on/off.

Does anyone know what pressure it can get up to? I'll need around 10 bar for the EAS. I can't find a datasheet for the thing anywhere...

This page seems to say there's a separate oil system in the compressor. Will there be a need for an oiler/separator on the air side?

Good to know, thanks. The Densos won't be very far behind then.

All I could find on the topic was the operating range in the AC system, which is somewhere between 20 and 30 bar, but the variable there is the pressure the charge already has.

Continuing on with this... now the hunt is on for a filter/regulator that can handle these pressures. Most I can find top out at 10 bar input pressure, that won't last long. 15 bar should be a fairly safe upper limit (I hope).

The standard dessicator handles water fine, but probably won't be able to regenerate properly when oil passes through it, hence the need for an extra filter.

Would something like this survive? Running something made in China at max rated pressure might be asking for trouble...

There already is one. It was more a need for a filter, but I'll try using the standard dessicant tank and seeing how much oil there really is in the system.

Another concern right now is lots of on/off cycling of the AC compressor for normal EAS duties. In this regard it might be better to be able to switch between the standard 12V compressor and the AC compressor (when fast EAS inflation is necessary, or for inflating tyres).

I'll be looking at it in more detail soon (I hope).

• 1 month later...

Well, it works :i-m_so_happy:

At least, it did until the cheapo "air line" I got from the local DIY store went boom. But when it did work, it raised the EAS up very quickly.

Wiring was really easy: Cut the plug off the AC compressor, as it wasn't easily adaptable. Attached the ground to one of the compressor mounting bolts, extended the other wire to the EAS box, where it plugs into the compressor connector. Another small wire to bridge the thermal cutout contacts on the compressor connector, and that part's done.

Connecting up the airlines was pretty easy as well. The AC lines already run right by the EAS box:

post-18506-0-35685800-1444548838_thumb.png

My initial plan, as indicated in the picture, was to attach the pump inlet to the airbox. I might still do that, but for now I just ducttaped the EAS compressor filter into that line.

I've still got the condenser and AC drier in the system at the moment, can't be bad to have some cooling, and that means there's already a line next to the EAS box. Handily already with a screw fitting there, so I could unscrew it there and slip a rubber hose over it.

I'll get some pictures later, probably when I get some proper hose to connect it all up. But I'm very pleased with the result, the poor electric EAS compressor can finally stop squealing while trying to refill the whole system after it has been sitting for a few weeks.

Also need to plumb in a quick connect for a tyre gauge, probably in the line from the EAS valveblock to the tank.

Good work Ben, still thinking about fitting OBA on my 200Tdi and it would have been handy this weekend, better than putting 2 in the tank station to get me back up from 18psi to 35psi on the Dizco after yesterday's road book :o

How much capacity does the RR have in it's own reservoir?