200 TDI Fuel Pressure?

ajh

To know if the pump is delivering fuel to specification and to size an electric pump. I'm having performance issues at higher rpm and need to track down why, without knowing what something should be it is impossible to judge if it's working correctly.

my 200tdi manual says

lift pump pressure 42 to 55 Kpa @ 1800 rpm

FIP timing 1.54mm @ TDC

Max rpm full load (speed cut-off starts) 3850

no load [flight speed] 4100 to 4260 rpm

FIP Advance box [single stage] 9 degrees

peak pumping pressure 650 bar

only other pressures given are those for injector first & second stage injection.

I was under the understanding that the pressure in the IP is controlled by the output of the lift pump which is in the first stage of the IP itself.

The external lift pump is theoretically not needed. Other vehicles with the same VE pump just suck the fuel straight from the tank, through the filter and all.

The fact that one is fitted assures a good consistent fuel supply at what is about 6-8 psi. Electric pumps sometimes only put out 5 psi. I would think they would work fine too. If you think you are getting starved of fuel, changing the fuel filter would be the first step I think.

Steve