Td5 'know it all' needed... Will pay...

Hi,

Who wants some extra cash?

I have tray backed my Td5 90 and so had to move the tank. I have taken a 300tdi tank, welded up holes and made it so Td5 fuel pump fits tank however it wont run. Sometime I can get it running, and will will run and run and run sat still, but after a couple mins driving it cuts out. I think there is an air leak somewhere, as i cant work out why it would be anything else. Trouble is its a SORN challenge truck and no garage will touch it as 'they dont have time'. If someone would like to see if they can fix it, I will pay them for their help as I no longer have the time, energy or intrest in Land Rovers (its a sad day but once its fix it will be for sale :( )

If anyone is intrested in helping please E-mail me letsgopedro@hotmail.com or ring 01780 729284 (Located Rutland, (2 mins from Tixover Quarry.))

Many thanks, Pete

ps, dont often use forum anymore so please ring or email.

The TD5 "standard" fuel system is way over complicated when it comes to modifying it, you'd be better off ditching the in tank pump and the 2 stage system and fitting a single external pump.

Have you used the full standard system with the TD5 fuel filter ?

When it stops, what does it take to get it started again ?

a self prime (pump throttle 5 times and wait 5 mins) and she will fire up again. If you leave it over night or few a few days you need to do several self primes however... (although it seems to be getting harder and harder to start :S )

Surely someone wants some cash and a challenge? Really want it fixed sooner rather than later...

Pete

i would say, new leccy lift pump (of the standalone variety) wired into the ignition.

i could be wrong, but i thought TD5 injection pumps "dont like" running out of diesel..

TD5 injection pump ?

Lift pump ?

TD5s have more in common with a petrol EFi than a 300TDi as far as the fuel system is concerned. They use a combined swirl pot/filter unit with two pump stages in the in-tank unit.

A low pressure pump in the tank feeds the filter/swirl pot unit with diesel which runs through the filter and back into the high pressure pump chamber.

The high pressure pump (also in the tank) takes it's feed back from the filter/swirl pot and pumps the fuel into the cylinder head maintaining a steady 68psi or thereabouts in the head, maintained by the pressure regulator.

The camshaft is used to provide the final pressure at each injector.

Fuel returns from the regulator, via the fuel cooler, to the filter/swirl pot where it feeds back into the high pressure pickup.

Any air is bled off the top of the filter/swirl pot and back to the tank via a membrane that only allows air past.

If you modify the fuel system you are far better off ditching the lot and installing an EFi style system with a single high pressure pump with a pre and post filter of some kind. Personally I use an inline EFi pre-filter and a 300TDi post filter as it gives some water separation.

On the OPs vehicle it sounds as if the low pressure part of the in tank pump is failing. It can gradually fill the filter/swirl pot during the bleed process but can't keep up with the demand from the high pressure pump. It will run for a while as the fuel coming back from the engine is fed back into the high pressure pickup but eventually the high pressure pump will end up sucking air back from the tank into the filter/swirl pot.

Either that or it's plumbed in incorrectly !