Disco TD5 Drivers Door Lock

Disco Billy

Howdy fellow discovery driving types, my first post here so hello to all.

I have a 2003 Discovery TD5 which has developed a fault with the drivers door lock and I was just wondering if any of you have experienced something simlar, or have any ideas.

It will lock fine, however when you unlock the car using the remote on the key on the first press, when normally the drivers door opens, you can hear the other doors "click" as usual. I presume the deadlocks are disengaging, but nothing from the drivers door.

The only way to open the door is to open all other doors using the remote (two presses) and then manually open the drivers door with the key.

Opening all doors with the key works fine, but the alarm sounds on opening a door.

No hardship I know, but a niggly fault with a car that's only three years old and had suffered from several niggly faults the last few months.

Many thanks for your help

Billy

I have exactly the same problem on the passenger door, but not quite the same urgency as your problem, being the one you use all the time!

My thoughts were the actuator but I believe the central lock mechanism and actuator are one (could be wrong though, it has been known). I am going to investigate by removing door trim and lubing it all up and see what happens, but keep us posted!

Sorry to be no help whatsoever! :ph34r:

Thanks for the response,

I'm going to have the door skin off at the weekend and investigate, if I find anything interesting I'll let you know, just don't fancy yet another trip to my friendly but horribly expensive landrover dealer.

It's almost as though it knew the warranty expired in May.

• 1 year later...

Hi

got the same problem now

|I can't see a response to this older post

I have tried to lift and lower the servo unit:does not work : If I move the servo down ,the door can be opened when I press the keyfob ,BUT ,i cannot lock the door with the keyfob

When I move the servo up ,it is the contrary that happens

I suspect it could be the servo that is faulty :movements not ample enough?

how do you check if a servo is ok ? If it is not the servo ,what do you think it could be ?

Peter

Best of luck, I've never managed to fix a Disco II door lock. Disco I locks break springs that can be changed but the DII lock is a monolithic thing designed to be replaced and not fixed.

Thanks for your comments

the lock itself is fine ,once the button is pushed up manually ,the lock works very well

When the button is pushed down manually ,,the door is properly locked

My problem comes from the servo I think ,which does not push enough up and down

Do servos wear should they be replaced ?

Peter