Overland Trailer MK11 (feedback would be welcome)

Just over two years ago I started a new project and started the thread with, OK it's winter project time........

The project took twice as long as it should have done and took me to places I would not have expected, I learnt lots of new things, meet lots of new people, and despite many setbacks and false starts produced a result that I was very happy with, so why am I starting a new thread?

Whilst the trailer did everything I asked of it, it still didn't solve one of the issues I was hoping to resolve, the issue? To provide accommodation for the four of us we still need a Roof Tent (RT) on the 110 and a RT on the trailer which means we have to pack up a tent to use the 110, whilst it does not take that long it is still a PITA especially if you just want to nip out for something, the second issue is that packing up two RT takes twice the time, again whilst not hours it does not make for a quick getaway.

I have been playing with some ideas and think I am there, I am currently still in design phase but am sure of a few things:

• Trailer needs to provide accommodation for four (2 in RT and 2 in trailer)
  • Trailer is going to be based on a Rapier Trailer 8x4 load bed with rear overhang
  • Kitchen will be pull out from the rear
  • Sleeping in the trailer will be in a pop top type with insulated canvas sides
  • I don't want a caravan so whilst it will look like a teardrop it will not be a live in unit
  • Construction will be the same method and material as before

I don't expect to even start the build until September as will be busy at work etc but it will allow me to gather materials and plan, build scale models and figure out the finer details!! I expect the build will take me around 18 months and am planning on a budget of around £3.5k with me outsourcing the fabrication of the frame to the same company that built the last one.

I intend to fund the build from the sale of my Series One this will allow me to keep and use the MK1 trailer for whilst I complete this build. I don't intend to 'steal' bits from MK1 as this would prevent it's use and strip value when I come to sell it.

Whilst I don't want a caravan, it would be nice to extend the camping season so I will probably be insulating the sleeping compartments and insulating the canvas in a similar style to the fridge bag I recently made. and may even add an airtop heater to heat the compartment and RT.

Attached are some concept drawings but I first need to acquire the donor trailer (Rapier Trailer wanted!!) I need this to allow me to design the frame and trailer pick ups off the chassis. The open end you can see will have a zipped door with fly netting etc, the end of the trailer will fold down to provide an entrance area and I am sure I will end up putting side vents on the pop up to allow for fresh air.

The rear of the trailer will have a overhang of about 1ft at 45 degrees and will house a built in kitchen on a pull out with sink hob grill, there will be an area above for the microwave and electrical panel, I will add a water heater again, and add pan and food storage to the top.

The O/S of the trailer will have a pull out for the fridge a compartment above the wheel for camping table/chairs and the forward most compartment will house clothes and other bits.

The N/S will have a waterproof locker for the camping toilet and bits and again at the rear there will be access to the clothes storage compartment.

I will probably fit a side awning to the trailer as it will be long enough to accommodate my easy awn again removing things from the 110 although having the awning on the 110 is a big advantage so I may just fit a spare awning rail to give me the choice.

Between the axles the water tank and batteries will be housed, keeping the weight low and over the axle, balance wise given my previous build experience I am happy that it will work but have the option of moving the water tank towards the front if I need to adjust the weight, the spare wheel on the a-frame will help balance out the Roof tent and by moving the fridge towards the centre It will allow me to store food in the kitchen area.

The drawings are not to scale and don't currently include any frame detail, but give you an idea of what I am aiming at, anyway it's out there now, let me know what you think.

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-0-97522400-1328375645_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-49996400-1328375658_thumb.jpg

Started to work on the frame design tonight, again it's not to scale even the tube sizes are not correct but it started to give me an idea of what I wanted. As I say I need to get a base trailer first and figure up the pick up points before finalising the design.

Jason.

post-15513-0-91688300-1328396890_thumb.jpg

What height are you aiming for overall?

I don't want it any higher than the defender roof so 2.20m - 2.40m would be the max height same height as current trailer, finial measurements again depend on the base trailer.

Shorter than the current trailer?

The new trailer will have a 8x4 load bed I plan to build a rear overhang of between 1ft -1 1/2ft to house the kitchen which will be angled up as not to limit the trailer.

What sort of height will there be inside between mattress top and the roof?

I plan about 18 inches at the feet/kitchen end but the roof will raise to give about 4 1/2ft again it depends on the base chassis height, the bed height will be taken off the fridge height so I may need to change things around in the final design but only by a few inches.

The mattress will be 7ft x 4ft with the flap at the end for shoes etc extending the area to around 8 1/2 ft in all my reading the biggest complaint about these builds was that the bed was to small (people making them 6ft) so wanted to avoid that 7ft seems to be the optimum length the extra length at the end allows for tall people to extend if required.

Jason.

A picture paints a 1000 words or so they say.... This is a photo of the inspiration for the pop tent bit, I don't intend to have the door bit but you can see from the photos the concept of the roof canvas and the door shield/cover I am not sure I will need poles either but again I will wait until I start the scale model before I decide.

post-15513-0-57868000-1328570441_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark,

Yes thanks, I have looked at them, it concept is good but I as I said I don't want to live inside the unit so think that style of tent would be too big, the other issue I have is I need some of the roof for the roof tent hence having the pop up style of roof.

Jason.

• 2 months later...

Hi Jason,

Having followed your last trailier build, I'm in the process of building mine.

I'm using the same Sankey MK3 trailer, other than extending the front by a bit, nothing else is done to it except a bit of TLC. Frame work is 20mm steel box and cladded with 1.2mm Ali sheet.

I've taken my ideas from these folks. Maybe some inspiration/ideas could be gleaned from there.

Hi Jason,

Having followed your last trailier build, I'm in the process of building mine.

I'm using the same Sankey MK3 trailer, other than extending the front by a bit, nothing else is done to it except a bit of TLC. Frame work is 20mm steel box and cladded with 1.2mm Ali sheet.

I've taken my ideas from these folks. Maybe some inspiration/ideas could be gleaned from there.

Thanks Alfaman,

I looked at the Conquer trailers before building my first one and almost brought one but was outbid on eBay, one of the forum members in Australia sent me some trailer magazines which were again a great source of inspiration. This project is officially on hold at the moment I have a ton of other stuff to do including some remedial work on the first trailer, my storage/sleeping system and other project including the garden!!

I will probably look at it again in September time but would be interested to see what you have come up with, any photos?

Jason.

Jason.

Our project is just a sleeper, no living inside, we wanted a metal tent....

Have a look at the latest ZA caravan. You might get some ideas from there

http://www.bushlapa.com/

Now look at the latest trailer from ZA

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=73003

There's another model of this on the marker with a new RTT, both should have been revealed this weekend

alfaman The Conqueror Austrailier is an import from Conqueror ZA. Full range here

http://www.conqueror.co.za/

Prices starting at £10,000 (131,000 Rand) - I see why you would build your own! You could make it out of unobtanium and still have almost enough change to buy a round of drinks when you get back to England!

Si

Prices starting at £10,000 (131,000 Rand) - I see why you would build your own! You could make it out of unobtanium and still have almost enough change to buy a round of drinks when you get back to England!

Si

My own thought's in a nutshell!

I will probably look at it again in September time but would be interested to see what you have come up with, any photos?

I do have photo's, trying to get them uploaded into my profile, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Feel free to comment (good or bad) on the other build pictures in my gallery. Finally got all the ones I took (when I remembered to do them) uploaded.

The roof will be done within the next couple of weeks, and hopefully some primer will fall on it, as-well.

Unfortunately, building this over here in Germany will cost me more than anyone else having a go back in UK, for example a sheet of Ali costs €77.

I do have an advantage than most, I have full access to a 2m long gillotene(cutter) and a 2.5m long folding machine and farmers old barn all for free.

• 3 months later...

Not at the moment, but knowing me it will happen some day, I am in the middle of prep for Norway at the moment so am being kept busy on other things.

Mk1 is also working well, so it kind of mitigates the justification.