Leaking clutch master cylinder - MOT failure

nickwilliams

If you are going to change it I would recommend changing the master and the slave cylinders at the same time.

Often the extra stress of one being changed results in the other failing soon after and for the cost of the parts and the time involved you might as well do them both there and then.

If its dripping a lot of oil then probably - cant they give an advisory for a mild leak, but there is potential to fail? One way around it if you are unable to do it before the mot is to put the wading plug in for the test as that should stop any visible leak.

One way around it if you are unable to do it before the mot is to put the wading plug in for the test as that should stop any visible leak.

The master cylinder usually leaks onto the peddle rather than into the bell housing.

I am not aware that it is a failure though I am not sure. Why not check out ukmot.com or motuk.co.uk and see?

Chris

MOT Inspection Manual 6.8.2:

Check that the driver’s area is free from rubbish

or other items liable to interfere with the proper

control of the vehicle.

RFR:

Presence of rubbish or other items likely to

interfere with the proper control of the vehicle.

So if the fluid is on the pedal causing it to be slippery, then there is potential for a fail, but I reckon it would have to be a pretty picky NT to actually fail you on it.

HTH :)

The master cylinder usually leaks onto the peddle rather than into the bell housing.

You are right. I had misread the original post and was talking about the slave. :blush:

As it is the master, as the others have now said, i dont think they will fail it if the clutch appears to be working at the time of the test, so just top up with fluid before leaving it with them and make sure that there are no obvious puddles of clutch fluid in the footwell.!