T series conversions

rusty_wingnut

Has anyone done or know of anyone who has fitted a 2ltr T series engine into a Land Rover Defender?

I realise the non turbo found it's way into the Disco, but I am thinking of swapping my juicy V8 for a turbocharged T series, and hence am interested if anyone has done it before.

Will it mate up to the R380 gearbox?

I read somewhere that the Italians did a bit of this (they were a major market for the MPi Disco). Take the turbo from a Rover 220 T and stuck on the MPi. I'm sure there's more to it than just nuts and bolts but it can be done it seems, and with a worthwhile result. I imagine it'd make the engine even more revvy!

LR themselves fitted the 2ltr Mpi Disco engine to a big order of 90 station wagons for the Italian Carabinieri police a few years ago, possible all been replaced with Tdi or td5 engined vehicles now or converted in house.

I saw on ebay earlier today that there is a company here in UK which is selling off 10 of those left hand drive Italian MPi 90s. They want about £6000 each for them.

Regards,

Diff.

I read somewhere that the Italians did a bit of this (they were a major market for the MPi Disco). Take the turbo from a Rover 220 T and stuck on the MPi. I'm sure there's more to it than just nuts and bolts but it can be done it seems, and with a worthwhile result. I imagine it'd make the engine even more revvy!

the M series nasp will explode if you put a turbo on it....just bang a T in there, there easy to get hold of...I have about a dozen in my garage :)

It goes in pretty much the same as the Prima engine, Marco was looking for a Prima engine

at the same time as I was. I think he was given a van engine then someone gave him a

complete turbo car and he used what he had. When he was given the van engine I think

he got an LT77 with it? That must be about 2003 I am not sure on the details.

I've got a t series in my lwt, coupled to a defender transmission. I brought the remains of marcos conversion. there are a few pic son his site still, but i don't think they will help much.

It uses an sd1 2000 bellhousing and input shaft.making it super short ( perfect in a series ) but these parts are hens teeth.

Alternatively you can use the disco mpi r380 flywheel housing and change the r380 to the mpi input shaft ( or get a custom spigot bush machined up)

You basically need an mpi + box and the turbo engine, and make a blend between the two. to get it to fit.

Its not really something you can do in a weekend.

A few pics.

Before it was fitted, notice there isn't really a flywheel housing just a back plate with the sd1 setup making it super stumpy.

PICT0159.jpg

In the car, still alot of tidying up to do. but it runs/ drives under its own power:

PICT0020-1.jpg

And for comparison, this is the mpi flywheel housing connected to an r380. ( Its a std bellhousing on the r380 but the input shaft tip is only about 13mm diameter)

PICT0349.jpg

The bellhousing doesn't look any shorter than a Sherpa one?

I have a sherpa bellhousing and block plate, also got starters and flywheels.

What flywheel did he use, he did ask about an adapter when he was going to

use the series box and he wanted a hole in the adapter for a magnetic pick up?

By the way He's Marko, I used to forget and write Marco, always got a mail back saying my names not Marco;-)

Here's a bit from an email in 2005, after he rolled it:

LT77/LT230/Series setup worked real nice with the 2.0 turbo - nice and

perky on-road but not insanely high revs and stonking crawl speed in

lowbox 1st. 25mpg around town, 30mpg on the motorway, worst ever 20mpg

(but rolled it getting the economy that low). Can't ask for more for

something with V8 driveability!

--

Marko

Sorry the sd1 bell hosuing is the same as the sherpa.. i was saying it was alot shorter than usign the mpi setup.

All that matters is the starter isn't turbo side( as those bellhosuings are easy to get hold of). He used the sherpa flywheel. which is the same as the mpi.

the pinion shaft for the lt77 is the same as the sd1 v8.