headlight problem

moonie

‘97 300 Tdi

My dipped headlights don't always come on when the switch is activated.

Turning the switch on and off several times eventually makes them come on. I can hear a relay clicking somewhere every time I switch.

Turn to main beam all OK back to dip and they go out, not much fun at 60 along country roads.

I've changed the stalk switch for a 'new' one from ePrey, still the problem persists.

Might have wasted my money as the old switch wasn't burnt at all and I've buzzed it and it all seems OK

Any advice appreciated

Just had a look at the wiring diagrams, on the 300 each headlamp has a different feed from the fuse box on so it can't be the same as my problem (200 shares the same feed). I'd start by cleaning the contacts as far as the fuse box and if that doesn't work then replace the relay. Since both lights are going out it narrows down the problem to the areas where the feed is the same i.e switch and relay. The way that it works after several attempts sounds like a sticking relay to me.

The only relay is the dim dip one, the main feeds to head and dip lights aren't relayed as standard.

Niamh

Exactly what does this relay do?

ont forget to check the wiring harness feeding the wires to the headlights, they have their own earth wire, bolted onto a stud on the side of the engine bay, no 10 nut.

If there was trouble with the earth wouldn't that effect the main beam as well.

Exactly what does this relay do? If there was trouble with the earth wouldn't that effect the main beam as well.

Not on mine ....wen I switched on the lights the dims were slow to light up, but when switching on in the bright position no problem, It drove me nuts....until I discovered the loose earth wire...........the nut was MIA.......that's what I love about a Landy, never a dull moment......and even with 30 odd years experience, they know how to get you back to basics or not.......

Nope that wasn't it.

The only earth point with 2 wires that I could find was down beside the air filter box.

As I have a Safari snorkle the air box is difficult to get out.

I manage to get the wires off and they didn't look too bad.

With a long piece of wire I linked it to the battery negative to give it a good ground, didn't make any difference.

I'd never have gotten the nut back on without removing the air box so I extended the wire and earthed it somewhere else.

So the problem persists.

Any other ideas?

• 3 weeks later...

The only relay is the dim dip one, the main feeds to head and dip lights aren't relayed as standard.

Niamh

Oh yes they are!!!!!!!

After many hours serching there's a switching relay located in the passenger footwell side panel.

This was located and found to be faulty.

Headlights work perfectly now.

Experts eh!!!! :blink:

It doesn't show in the rave diagrams!

Niamh

He has found the dim dip relay which you mentioned, and as you stated correctly that's the only relay. You can't do more than tell them :)

I've just left the resistor unpluged to isolate the dim dip system.

I have LED sidlights which are brilliant but looked a bit naff along with the dim light of the dim dip system.

He has found the dim dip relay which you mentioned, and as you stated correctly that's the only relay. You can't do more than tell them :)

I've just left the resistor unpluged to isolate the dim dip system.

I have LED sidlights which are brilliant but looked a bit naff along with the dim light of the dim dip system.

The relay that I found was the headlight switching relay not the dim dip relay.

So it appears it is not the only relay eh!

Edited by BogMonster
Removing unnecessary comment

The relay that I found was the headlight switching relay not the dim dip relay.

So it appears it is not the only relay eh!

You have a non-standard disco then, it's NOT as it left the factory. If you had mention earlier that your disco was no-standard you would have had your answer quicker.

Some of the comments creeping into this thread have not been in the constructive spirit of the forum so before anybody puts finger to keyboard again please consider whether it contributes usefully to the discussion because if it doesn't, I will delete it and the thread will be locked.

• 6 years later...