Buying a tubebender - finally !

greenstream

Hi

Im now closeing a deal on a JD2 Model3 bender and I have a couple of questions for you wise guys.

I will be bending CDS 45x2,5mm. and 38x2,5 mm.

The seller advise to use formers as below.

1 1/2" OD X 5,5"R

1 3/4" OD X 6,5"R

And the two questions

Is the radius fine for my kind of pipe ?

Does the inch-size mate up with my metric size ?

(1 1/2" = 38mm. OK 1 3/4" = 44 mm. OK?????) Will this work for me of will I be marking the pipe ?

Thanks

Morten

Are you trying to bend pipe or tube?? Cds is a manufacturing process, you can get pipe or tube in 'cold drawn seamless' form. Once you know this you can check if the formers are for the right size or tube/pipe.

In case your not sure:

Tube - Od is constant for a given nominal size. Handy for roll cages as the same former can bend different thicknesses of the same size tubes - pick the thickness to suit the loading in the different parts of the cage.

Pipe - has a nearly constant bore size, as wall thickness goes up, so does Od. Theoretically you need a different former for each wall thickness of the same nominal bore.

Bend radius - the material choice and any heat treatment it has will dictate the minimum bend you can make with it.

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I wasnt aware of the tube/pipe issue.

What Im bending is Tube OD 45mm. My reason for asking was the the seller quoted a 1 3/4 to be fit for 45 mm. OD, but to me the 1 3/4 is only 44 mm.

BUT I have spoken to the seller today and he had made a mistake and I do ofcourse need to have dies in metric size 38 and 45mm.

So that one question answered.

Morten

if you dont match the tube/pipe with the die then the bend quality will be the same of a bender thatll cost you a quater of the price. even a jd2 that hasnt been set up properly will produce a bad bend.

1 3/4 is 44mm and that would be the die you need. talk to john at tubela engineering, i went over the to collect mine and hes a very helpfull chap. he should be able to sort you out.

Mine is 6.5" which is a pretty good match to the radius of the top of a Land Rover roof. In general, go for as big as you can get away with as the bigger the radius, the thinner the wall it will bend neatly. I made an exhaust out of 1.6mm wall tube which it made a nice job of. 1.2mm starts to go a bit wrinkly! The bender will happily cope with 5mm wall too - though without the hydraulic mod you would probably need to be a body builder to pull the lever!

Si

I got hold of some dies for the pro tools bender fairly cheap to try and use in the JD2 bender.

Both benders operate the same way and look similar, I have never seen the pro tools version so can't comments on which is best, doubt there is much in it.

Some of the pro tools dies worked fine, the 1 1/2" tube one didn't line up with the mounting holes for the follower, a big hunk of steel welded to the back and a hole drilled through that solved the problem but just be aware the dies are not always interchangeable between benders,

• 2 weeks later...

I have had it a while now, think with the machine and 2 bits of tooling it was about £1000 plus VAT

They are a bit dearer than that now, about £1200 inc vat with 1 tool.

I did have on and it must be the best manual bender out there, though I sold it a while back to buy a rdb 150 hydro but I now cant make myself pay the £7000 it costs with 4 dies so I now have nothing :blink: