help finding the part number/price/location of one of these please. im

discomikey

my land rover decided to sieze its tensioner pulley yesterday on the way home from uni, luckily id only got a couple of miles before it seized.

not being able to find one on a friday afternoon, i set about bodging it by replacing the bolt with a thinner one and lathed up a brass bush. it got me home JUST. now all the balls have gone from the bearing and i am in dire need of a replacement before monday which is a big ask i know because everywhere useful shuts today at lunchtime.

post-13725-0-43930600-1328955431_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-71649200-1328955435_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-70529500-1328955439_thumb.jpg

post-13725-0-82301700-1328955442_thumb.jpg

i assumed it was a 200TDI air con tensioner pulley from a disco as thats where i got it from. but the ones i can find online are different and clamp around the fuel pump cover. which i cant use that setup for my application.

im not sure its a land rover part. no. this is what confused me as my disco had factory fit air con too. but no signs of the other type of tensioner.

i have no other engines lying about it could be from either as the rest are all serpentine belts.

Can't find any like that in the parts books, only these I've listed below.

Defender 200Tdi air cond tensioner http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/31/53134/

2.5 TD variant http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/31/53092/

Discovery 200Tdi variant http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/32/45511/

300Tdi variant http://www.numcat.ru...ver/p/32/45550/

are there any makers name or numbers stamped on your item ?

now all the balls have gone from the bearing and i am in dire need of a replacement before monday which is a big ask i know because everywhere useful shuts today at lunchtime.....

Taking a different approach can you not just replace the bearing? Do you have any machining facilities? You could open the pulley up a bit to take a larger bearing if you happen to have one kicking about ......

it did come from my air con system when the TDI was in the disco. hence me thinking it was standard.

i cant see any coding on it. i am going to have to get a bearing for it. but wont be able to get one till monday. if i could have located where it was from i could have maybe got hold of one.

but now i have no ride back to uni :) ahh the joys of lr ownership.

it did come from my air con system when the TDI was in the disco. hence me thinking it was standard.

It's used on the aircon system, not required if you havent got aircon, like my 88, so what have you been using it for? I've just had a look back at your build thread and I can;t see it on the engine. Its definately not the LR aircon tensioner

i used it to tension the water pump belt. like so.

post-13725-0-63055900-1328991298_thumb.jpg

can just see it. its the perfect spacing from the PAS plate to where the belt needs to be.

the double pulley on the alternator didnt last very long at all. it was the PAS double pulley with a new center welded in. it wobbled like crazy even though the hole was perfectly centered even in a lathe.

Oh now I see! I thought you'd used the PAS pump somehow, using the plate confused me!!

Why not convert it to have the alternator to the PAS pump position? Uses some spacers, a 2286 alternator mount and the fan belt from the disco engine, have you such an alternator bracket to hand? It wouldn't take more than a few hours to do tomorrow, get you back on the road, gives you more room in the engine bay too - a premium on a Series I know!

okay thanks.

the way i have it set up is for increased reliability. space isnt so much of an issue anymore as my series wings have defender inners and a lot more bay space.

if the alternator belt goes, i still have the water pump and cooling. the battery should get me somewhere i can pull over to fix it.

if the water pump belt goes, i still have charge and i should be able to get somwehere i can pull over to fix it.

Well I understand your thinking, only your increased reliabilty seems to have gone out the window with a spurious part! My 109 has 90/110 inner wings, it does make a big difference.

Looking at the 200 aircon tensioner, if you welded a spigot to the PAS pump mount plate, you could use it. I guess from a previous comment you have a lathe at the farm? If you need the diameter for the spigot I can go and get the tensioner and measure it up for you, although I'm guessing you won't be able to get one before you need Brian anyway?!