Steering box skipped a tooth?

After greenlaning in France, very cold conditions. My steering wheel was out off center. Nothing was bent or lose.

The only option is, that the internal manual steeringbox has skipped a tooth. mayby it's possible when there is a great force at the pitman arm when the box is in turning position at the opposit direction. Knowing that( there is always play when turning. Did someone had the same experiance?

Yep this can happen...

you have most likely twisted the shaft as well, not that you would be able to tell from looking at it...

Also the next time it takes a big hit, more than likely it will just shear off, seen lots end this way in comp situations :)

My local dealer said that Defenders are supposed to have really thin walled track rods and drag links so they are sacrificed in a high stress event instead of the steering box or hub..

Is this true?

I am about to put on a sumo HD drag link! I might leave the track rod thin.

I guess you could carry a spare all set up.

I bent this travelling through a rally stage in Wales a few years ago, standard 110 track rod,

managed to straighten it enough to drive home on, I also removed the so called guard bolted to the underside of the diff.

not sure if I had stronger rods what the damaged would have been, as it was the only casualty was this rod.

post-20-0-85318400-1329252705_thumb.jpg