Series III seat location

BFRieck

This topic didn't get any traction when combined with another so I'll try an independent thread. I'm wondering if anyone has confronted the lack of legroom for the driver in a Series III (probably applies to the others as well, but I only have a III). I've got the seat adjusted all the way back (109 ex MoD FFR), but I'd like a bit more room. I'm only 5'10" so I would think there are taller folks out there who've noticed the problem as well. Is there a reasonable fix and, if so, what is it?

Well, I have a bit of egg on my face since Googling produced a lot of results including more than one reference to this forum! Should have done that first. It was kind of y'all not to point that out in a nasty manner. It appears to me that most of the ready-made stuff is aimed at Defenders. Nevertheless, there are a number of DIY solutions as well. I'll do some more research and see what I can invent. Toward that end, what are the long term ramifications of removing whatever support the intact bulkhead provides and what portions or characteristics of the bulkhead would need to be kept to retain such support?

The Mud bulkhead removal bar for a defender should fit a Series, but you can achieve the same with some 25x25x3 steel box if you ask me, having fitted one. You should aim to keep or improve on the original strength for side impact, there's very little damage to the top of mine after my bump 3 weeks ago. You do loose the ability to use the bulkhead spare wheel facility, for what its worth, and some of the load restraint provided by the bulkhead. Also the backrest for a centre seat if required!

• 2 weeks later...

Utility 109s have the same bulkhead as a Defender tub, so any Defender bulkhead removal system will work perfectly. I used the Protection & Performance bar which is very similar to the genuine D90 station wagon bar. It does improve space considerably and eliminates the centre of the bulkhead completely, which is good if you want easy access to the tub from the cab, but bad if you carry a lot of loose articles in the back.

Any bulkhead removal will need replacement seat back supports or new self-supporting seats. Defender seats (the type with one bolt hole at each corner) will bolt straight into a Series II or III without even drilling new holes, and mightn't even constitute a mod for insurance purposes as late SIII County vehicles were fitted with these seats at the factory.

My Series 3 has the bulkhead removed, I fabbed up a piece of box-section and ran this across further back, I also put a roll-over bar in place just behind the bulkhead removal bar.

You will also run into issues with the normal fuel filler location on a SWB series, I re-routed mine to mimic the defender setup.