After market temp gauge

dalbro69

Hi guys, Ive found your site fantastic for information regarding my Manual Disco v8 LPG '97'.

However ive come to dead end with a problem ive got. The other weekend i ended up boiling my engine, knackering my water pump and splitting my expansion bottle. Basically im running electric fans and doing a rough bit of greenlaning and the variable temp gauge turned itself up from the set 90 to 120 C....boom.

Anyways all fixed now and running fine so no head gasket problem...<phew>

So im wanting to fit an after market temp gauge as the one fitted is well....useless...reads the same no matter what, even when it went boom lol

Whats the best place to fit the temp sensor? I know i can fit an inline adaptor that fits in the top hose, but i know it wont give me an accurate reading until the thermostat opens at 88 C.

Where is the best place to fit the sensor. I have tried the search but couldnt find anything

Thanks in advance for your help

Well a guage is a guage is a guage .... :glare: After I boiled my 300TDi I pulled out the sensor, removed the speedo binacle and connected the guage to to sender and immersed the latter into a pan on the stove with a thermometer, after initial readings I tossed the sensor !!! :angry2: it was stuffed,

I then tested a replacement and returned it to the supplier as being inaccurate and on trying out the third found it to be spot on, 85 degrees C is just under 1/2 way, -- it's normal running position, 1/2 was is 90 deg. C and at the top of the white line, or 3/4 its 105 deg. C

I've stayed with it ever since, my point is how will you know that your expensive after market replacement is going to be any more accurate than the original unless you test it ? Or you could test the one you've got and stick with it.

Fine,the location is good but have you tested it to be sure exactly what temperature it's reading or are you simply taking for granted that the reading on the guage scale is accurate?

Very few gauges are "accurate". Based on other temp readings In get, the accuracy is reasonable.

I'd go with any gauge / sensor combo that gives you what you need, i.e. warm, hot, too hot! The exact temp does not matter to me, I'm more interested in am I at a safe temp.

As long as you get an appropriate gauge reading at vairious temps as above, should be fine.

Stu.

cheers for the responces guys

85 degrees C is just under 1/2 way, -- it's normal running position, 1/2 was is 90 deg. C and at the top of the white line, or 3/4 its 105 deg. C

I've stayed with it ever since, my point is how will you know that your expensive after market replacement is going to be any more accurate than the original unless you test it ? Or you could test the one you've got and stick with it.

Unfortunately mine reads just under half for everything,cold,hot,volcanic.....its the second sender aswell, i know of 3 other guys with V8 and they all have this problem.

Its not that expensive at £25 and claims to be within 1 degree of accurate from mcgill motorsports, its a digital readout plus voltage(which is handy after a alty change and dual batteries upgrade)

I put mine in one of the heater hoses. A lot simpler to get parts to do it and water runs through there all the time, whether or not the thermostat is open

What adapter did you use, i cant find one small enought (19mm i think)

Very few gauges are "accurate". Based on other temp readings In get, the accuracy is reasonable.

I know what you mean but its gonna be better than what ive got at the moment lol

cheers again for the help

I bought one of these for exactly the same reason you want one:

http://rspec.co.uk/performance-gauges/stepper-motor-touch-series/52mm-smoked-stepper-motor-touch-water-temperature-gauge-degc

I tested its accuracy before fitting by using a calibrated thermocouple I borrowed from work and there was less than 1deg difference in the readings. I fitted the sender in the stock location as it doesn't require chopping up any hoses and isn't affected by the thermostat being open/closed.

Although it is a bit 'bling' it has the added benefit of a programmable warning which will illuminate and/or beep at you when the temperature goes above the level you set. It also stores the highest temperature and automatically dims the backlight when you turn on the headlights so that it isn't too bright when driving at night.

Dave

Go for the extra insurance of a low coolant/temp alarm such as this haydn one http://www.coolantal...viewCat&catId=9

Looks good, but ouch....that like buying kenlowes over doing your own lol....but cheers anyway

I bought one of these for exactly the same reason you want one:

http://rspec.co.uk/p...ture-gauge-degc

I tested its accuracy before fitting by using a calibrated thermocouple I borrowed from work and there was less than 1deg difference in the readings. I fitted the sender in the stock location as it doesn't require chopping up any hoses and isn't affected by the thermostat being open/closed.

Although it is a bit 'bling' it has the added benefit of a programmable warning which will illuminate and/or beep at you when the temperature goes above the level you set. It also stores the highest temperature and automatically dims the backlight when you turn on the headlights so that it isn't too bright when driving at night.

Dave

That looks good,

this is the one im thinking off

http://www.mcgillmotorsports.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=890

seems ok just need to sort out an inline heater hose adapter

I use an SPA gauge (dual readout, combined with oil pressure). The best place to put the sensor is at the cylinder head, same place as the EFi temp sensor. The SPA gauge is pricey but you can also set it up to switch a relay for fan control and adjust the warning and alert LEDs. On my engine it's fully symmetrical so there are two positions for the standard EFi fuel sender and I simply used the "spare" one. On an RV8 you could just use a T piece adaptor I'd have thought on either the EFi coolant sender or the temp gauge coolant sender.

^^ Wow that is an extremely clean looking engine bay. Where is all the leaked oil and mud?

Thanks Deej! I like them clean, and after a trial, I clean again, we, however have more dust than mud, so it is a wee bit easier to keep clean. Oil? This pic was not long after a full top to bottom engine re-built, but she stays like that. I did up to 3500 km a month until last year November, when I got a little runabout for work driving, now the Disco is a proper recreational/holliday/fun vehicle.

• 4 months later...

Well sorry for a very late reply with the outcome. Things got put on hold but back with it now lol

Went and put all together using an 18mm adapter for a temp sender in the heater hose (t-piece to the Vaporiser)

Happy with the results...far more info and great for laning. Coz of the upgrade ive managed to find my current electric fans were....naff for hard work..extreme laning and towing on hills.

So they got upgraded with 2001 bug-eye subaru fans..like a plane taking off..anyways of topic there.

Heres the pics of the finished mod

2012-03-02170729.jpg

2012-03-05175732.jpg

2012-03-05175658.jpg

Next mod....megajolt!!!